+ RMA Rural Municipalities
of Alberta

Resolution 30-00F

Municipal Facilities Financial Assistance/Energy Rebate Program

January 1, 2000
Expiry Date:
December 1, 2003
Active Status:
Vote Results:

WHEREAS the Government of Alberta recently announced two new energy rebates to help Albertans with rising energy costs. The total amount to be returned to Albertans through the two rebates is $930 million;AND WHEREAS the Government of Alberta’s Energy Tax Refund will provide $690 million to Albertans ($300 per eligible person) to relieve the pressure of higher than normal heating costs and other energy costs;AND WHEREAS all residential and farm home electricity customers in Alberta will receive a $20 per month rebate on their power bill starting January 1, 2001 for one year which will amount to approximately $240 million (25%) of the proceeds of the provinces recent electricity auction to Albertans. Industrial, farm and commercial customers will receive rebates from the rest of the auction proceeds (75%);AND WHEREAS the Government of Alberta advised that they will consult with business stakeholders to determine the best way to apply the rebate (75%) to commercial customers;AND WHEREAS municipalities operate facilities such as administration offices, shops, street lights, parks, cultural and recreation buildings, etc. and the rising energy costs have created an enormous burden on our financial resources;

Operative Clause:

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Alberta Association of Municipal Districts and Counties request the Government of Alberta to implement a reasonable financial assistance/rebate program to offset the high energy costs for municipal facilities.

Member Background:

Energy Costs (Electricity)The County’s cost for electricity is based on commercial rates. The cost in September 1999 was $4.05 per kilowatt, which increased to $6.07 per kilowatt for September 2000. This is an increase of 49.88% in one year.Energy Costs (Natural Gas)The County’s cost for natural gas in October, 1999 was $3.091 per gigajoule. The cost increased to $5.77 per gigajoule for October, 2000. This is an increase of 86.77% in one year.

Back to Resolutions Database