This guide is intended to provide members with a short overview of the Municipal Wildfire Assistance Program and the Disaster Recovery Program
The RMA has created a Wildfire Program Assistance Guide 2023
, which is a summary of the two primary wildfire program supports available through the Government of Alberta: the Municipal Wildfire Assistance Program
(MWAP) and the Disaster Recovery Program
(DRP). This guide provides an overview and explains the differences between the programs.
The MWAP is intended to assist in:
- Helping reduce both the risk and losses associated with wildfires outside the Forest Protection Area.
- Supporting local emergency preparedness for emergencies and disasters.
- Motivating municipalities to implement wildfire prevention initiatives.
The purpose of the DRP is to:
- Contribute to a ready and resilient Alberta.
- Restore public property to its pre-disaster functional condition, but not be a full cost property replacement program, like some forms of insurance.
- Be a program of last resort.
Any detailed questions related to the program guidelines or the potential assistance available to specific areas of the province should be directed to the Government of Alberta through the information provided in the Wildfire Program Assistance Guide 2023.
Any further specific information will be updated as it becomes available.
Manager of Policy & Advocacy