The 2020 application term is now open and closes August 31, 2020
In recognition of the importance of an educated population to the future well-being of rural communities, the Rural Municipalities of Alberta (RMA) established the RMA Post-Secondary Scholarship Program in 1995. The program is designed to encourage rural Albertans to pursue further education, and thereby enhance the ability of these young people to make meaningful contributions to their communities in subsequent years. A scholarship in the amount of $1,000 is presented to one successful applicant from each of RMA’s five districts.
Eligibility and Application Procedure
In order to be eligible, an applicant must:
- be a resident of an RMA full member municipality in good standing (full member municipalities include municipal districts, counties, specialized municipalities, and the Special Areas);
- be registered in his or her first four years of study at a recognized post-secondary institution (i.e. the applicant must not have any previous degrees or diplomas). Preference will be given to candidates attending a recognized post-secondary institution in Alberta, except in instances where the chosen program of study is not available in Alberta; and
- be pursuing a course of studies of relevance to local government and/or rural communities.
- This criterion is not intended to restrict eligibility, instead, applicants are invited to explain the relevance of their intended study program within their letter of application.
The application form is available from the scholarship program page
. Submission packages must also include the following items:
- a letter from the applicant, setting out his or her goals and objectives in pursuing further education, as well as the relevance of their study program to local government and/or rural communities;
- official transcripts (high school or post secondary);
- a brief resumé outlining employment experience, community involvement, volunteer activities, recreational activities, cultural pursuits, etc.; and
- written confirmation from the local rural municipality’s chief administrative officer (CAO) certifying that the applicant is a resident of the municipality.
All interested persons are invited to apply for the RMA Post-Secondary Scholarship by completing the application package online
by August 31, 2020
For enquiries, please contact:
Director of External Relations & Advocacy