Convention kicks off next week – here’s what you need to know!
The RMA Fall 2018 Convention will take place November 19 – 22 at the Shaw Conference Centre with a packed agenda. Here are some highlights to make this a great convention experience.
Check out the convention app
for up to date information on the convention program!
Grey Cup Festival Impact on Convention Logistics
The RMA Fall 2018 Convention will overlap with the Grey Cup Festival, hosted by the City of Edmonton. Key points that convention attendees need to be aware of:
- Road closures include Jasper Avenue from 96 street to 99 street from November 14 to 28
- Parking will be at a premium, with many of the surface lots around the Shaw Conference Centre being unavailable. Convention attendees are encouraged to carpool to Edmonton to minimize parking frustration.
- Hotels are sold out after convention, so late checkouts on November 23 may not be available. Check with your hotel on this when checking in to confirm options.
- Convention shuttle buses will be running between the Shaw Conference Centre and the Westin, Sutton Place, Delta Centre Suite and Chateau Lacombe hotels. Shuttle schedules will be posted in the lobby of these convention hotels.
- All convention activities will take place on the Assembly and Meeting Levels of the Shaw Conference Centre, with the exception of some networking events.
- Because of the increased activity around downtown, convention delegates are asked to wear their nametags at all times when attending any convention events, including hospitality suites.
The convention features a packed agenda
, with opportunity for member engagement on a number of items, including:
Other key convention events include:
- Addresses by Premier Notley, Minister Anderson and Minister Ganley
- Ministerial Forum
- Opposition Party Panel
- Keynote speaker, Amanda Lindhout
- Amanda Lindhout will be holding a meet and greet and book signing after her keynote address on November 21 so if you have her book, A House in the Sky, and would like it signed bring it along!
Social and Networking Events
There are several RMA-sanctioned social networking opportunities at the fall convention, hosted by our great sponsors
. Make sure you check out the following RMA sanctioned events:
- RMA Tailgate Party, sponsored by Brownlee LLP – Wear Your Jersey and Join the Party!
- November 21, Hall B, Shaw Conference Centre
- Join us for great food, beverages, and interactive games, plus entertainment provided by local musician Jay Sparrow!
- This is a ticketed event, with all convention delegates for the RMA convention receiving a complimentary ticket. NOTE – the AMSA conference registration and RMA Partner’s Program do not include complimentary RMA Tailgate Party tickets. Additional tickets can be purchased for $25 by emailing cindy@RMAlberta.com
- Monday, November 19 Sanctioned Hospitality Suites:
- Brownlee LLP – 6:00 - 10:00pm, Riverview Room, Pedway Level, Shaw Conference Centre
- Eagle Builders – 6:00 - 10:00pm, Room Turner Valley Room, Westin
- Brandt – 6:00 - 10:30pm, Devonian Room, Westin
- Tuesday, November 20 Sanctioned Events and Hospitality Suites:
- Municipal Affairs Open House – 4:30 - 6:00pm, Foyer, Assembly Level, Shaw Conference Centre
- WSP – 4:00 - 8:30pm, Riverview Room, Pedway Level, Shaw Conference Centre
- Concrete Alberta & Cement Association of Canada – 5:00 - 10:00pm, Strathcona Room, Westin
- EQUS – 5:00 - 10:00pm, Devonian Room, Westin
- Reynolds Mirth Richards & Farmer – 5:30 - 9:30pm, Craft Beer Market
- Finning Night – 7:00 - 10:00pm, Main Ballroom, Westin
- Wednesday, November 21 Hospitality Suite:
- ATCO – 3:30 - 6:30pm, Riverview Room, Pedway Level, Shaw Conference Centre
We are looking forward to seeing all of our members next week!
For enquiries, please contact:
Convention and Administrative Coordinator
Director of External Relations & Advocacy