The reports would provide the AUC and stakeholders with baseline information related to reclamation and agricultural land preservation
The RMA and the Canadian Renewable Energy Association
(CanREA) have jointly submitted a request to the Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC) for intervener funding related to the current AUC inquiry into the electricity generation projects. The inquiry, announced in early August
, will review the following:
- The use of agricultural land and public land for wind and solar projects and land reclamation.
- The role of municipal governments in land selection for project development and review.
- Development of power plants on specific types or classes of agricultural and environmental land.
- The impact of power plant development on Alberta’s pristine viewscapes.
- Mandatory reclamation security requirements for power plants.
- Development of power plans on lands held by the Crown.
- The impact of the increasing growth of renewables on Alberta’s generation supply mix and electricity system reliability.
Under AUC Rule 022
, eligible interveners may apply for cost recovery related to participation in AUC inquiries and hearings. This includes undertaking research on issues related to the scope of the inquiry or hearing. Because the inquiry and related outcomes could have significant impacts on both the renewable energy industry and rural municipalities, the RMA and CanREA are jointly seeking intervener funding to conduct reports related to renewable energy reclamation requirements and the preservation of agricultural land. The intent of the reports is not to develop specific positions or recommendations, but rather to commission experts in each area to compile key considerations, best practices, examples from other jurisdictions, etc.
If intervener funding is approved, the reports will support more informed inquiry participation for both the RMA and CanREA members and provide the AUC with a scope for formal hearing proceedings on both topic areas.
The RMA will keep members apprised of the status of the application for funding.
Manager of Policy & Advocacy