RMA and Alberta Municipalities are cohosting workshops to provide municipal officials with a greater understanding on how to support reconciliation in their communities
Through our commitment to reconciliation, RMA and Alberta Municipalities
are partnering to host eight virtual workshops that will explore how past government policies have defined today’s relationship between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples. The workshops will feature Roy Pogorzelski, an experienced Metis researcher and consultant. These workshops follow four sold out sessions that were hosted in fall 2021. The workshop will provide municipal leaders with a deeper understanding of:
- Canada’s history of government policies and the effect on First Nations, Inuit, and Métis peoples.
- The learnings from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada and the 94 Calls to Action.
- Indigenous intersectionality and guidance on terminology.
- Common myths and how unconscious bias continues to contribute to misconceptions, prejudices, and stereotyping of Indigenous peoples.
- Practical steps for municipal governments to advance reconciliation and create inclusive workspaces.
This workshop is designed for municipal elected officials and municipal staff who would like to gain a further understanding of how government policies have impacted Indigenous peoples and how to support reconciliation in their community. To facilitate sharing between municipalities, registration will be capped at 15 participants per municipality for each session. Workshops will be held at the following dates and times:
- January 24, 2022 from 1:30 to 4:00 pm
- January 31, 2022 from 1:30 to 4:00 pm
- February 4, 2022 from 1:30 to 4:00 pm
- February 17, 2022 from 1:30 to 4:00 pm
- February 28, 2022 from 1:30 to 4:00 pm
- March 7, 2022 from 1:30 to 4:00 pm
- March 25, 2022 from 1:30 to 4:00 pm
- March 29, 2022 from 1:30 to 4:00 pm
Registration is limited to 30 people per workshop and the cost to register is $25.00 per person. To register, please click here
. For questions about this session, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Manager of Policy & Advocacy