The Government of Alberta is inviting municipal representatives to share their input into changes to police governance
In 2022, the Government of Alberta passed the Police Amendment Act, 2022
(PAA), which made several changes to the Police Act
. Among the changes are several new mandated structures for municipal input into policing:
- Communities with a population of under 15,000 policed by the RCMP with a Municipal Police Service Agreement (MPSA) will be represented by regional policing committees but will have the option to form their own municipal policing committee.
- Communities with a population over 15,000 that are policed by the RCMP with an MPSA will be required to establish municipal policing committee.
- Communities policed by the RCMP under a Provincial Police Service Agreement (PPSA) will be represented by a Provincial Police Advisory Board.
The Government of Alberta is engaging with municipalities to inform the development of a regulation outlining the scope and processes associated with the newly formed governance models.
Written submissions are being accepted until March 15, 2024 and can be submitted through an online questionnaire
The Government of Alberta is also holding virtual information sessions with community and municipal representatives. Please register for the session corresponding to the district your municipality falls under, as indicated by this district map
Registration information for PPSA communities can be found here:
- South district – Information session on the Provincial Police Advisory Board
- Central district – Information session on the Provincial Police Advisory Board
- East district – Information session on the Provincial Police Advisory Board
- West district – Information session on the Provincial Police Advisory Board
The RMA will provide members with an engagement guide to support key messaging and questions members can consider as they participate in the engagement process.
If you have questions, please contact Izabela Witkowska, Director of Engagement, Public Safety and Emergency Services, at PSES.Engagement@gov.ab.ca
Director of External Relations & Advocacy