Is there someone in your municipality who is an outstanding recreation volunteer?
Alberta Culture and Tourism
presents the Recreation Volunteer Recognition Awards
annually to individuals who, through their volunteer commitments and dedication, have significantly enhanced the development of recreation in Alberta. This award was established in 1977 and has been awarded to 221 volunteer leaders across the province. To view the listing of past recipients, click here
The application is available online
, and requests that the award criteria
be reviewed before beginning the nomination. Additionally, it calls for the following to be included in the submission:
- Nominee contact information
- A municipal endorsement - either an uploaded document with proof of endorsement or e-mail from office of municipality
- A list of the recreation or organization board involvement of the nominee
- A further description of nominees' recreation contributions
- The nominee's most significant volunteer contribution to recreation development and why this individual is qualified to receive an award.
- Alberta Culture and Tourism’s Energize Advisory Committee is responsible for reviewing the completed nomination submissions and evaluating them according to an established scoring criteria.
- Four award nominees are recommended to the Minister of Culture and Tourism for consideration.
- Once approved, a letter from the Minister of Alberta Culture and Tourism notifies each of the award winners and invites them to receive their award at the Alberta Recreation and Parks Association Energize Conference and Awards Banquet, which takes place October 25-27, 2018.
- The award recipients' travel and related expenses to attend the conference and awards banquet are covered. Additionally, they will receive a plaque recognizing their achievement and be noted in a press release following the conference.
The deadline for this year’s nominations is June 30, 2018.
If you need technical support or have questions, contact:
Alyssa Schwerman, Community Recreation Liaison
Recreation and Physical Activity Division, Alberta Culture and Tourism
For further enquiries, please contact:
Director of External Relations & Advocacy