The Honourable Shaye Anderson, Minister of Municipal Affairs, is calling on all Alberta municipalities to submit practices or initiatives for the 2018 Minister’s Awards for Municipal Excellence. Since 2002, the annual awards are given to recognize a municipality or municipal partnership that has helped to inspire action and change that has benefitted local government practice in Alberta.
An independent review committee comprised of representatives from various municipal associations will recommend award recipients in five categories:
- Innovation – recognizes a leading practice embodying the first use of an idea in a municipal context in Alberta (municipalities with a population of less than 500,000);
- Partnerships – recognizes a leading municipal practice involving consultation, co-ordination and co-operation with other municipalities, jurisdictions or organizations (municipalities with a population of less than 500,000);
- Safe Communities – recognizes a leading practice focused on making municipalities safer through prevention and enforcement (municipalities with a population of less than 500,000);
- Smaller Municipalities – recognizes the innovative practices developed by communities with a population of less than 3000; and
- Larger Municipalities – recognizes the innovation and creativity of larger municipalities with populations of 500,000 or greater that have a substantial resource base and who can partner with departments within the municipality’s control.
All municipalities are eligible. Municipalities may submit one or two practices per year. Submission forms and other details can be found on the Municipal Affairs website here
. Examples of past award winners can be found on the Minister’s Awards for Municipal Excellence page found here
The deadline for submissions is March 31, 2018
For any questions about technical difficulties with the forms, email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 780-427-7209 for assistance.
Further enquiries may be directed to:
Director, Advocacy & Communications