Alberta Infrastructure has provided RMA with an update on progress related to accepting and evaluating applications for the distribution of Alberta’s allocation of the federal Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program (ICIP). The information below has been provided to RMA directly by Alberta Infrastructure in order to be passed along to members. Specific questions about Alberta’s role in ICIP may be directed to Caroline Thomson, Director, Policy Development and Legislation, Alberta Infrastructure, by email at email@example.com
or by phone at 587.879.6000.
Alberta Infrastructure Update
- On April 3, 2018, the Government of Alberta launched the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program intake process.
- The Public Transit funding stream is administered by Alberta Transportation, and that funding is allocated by Infrastructure Canada to municipalities with regional transit systems.
- Alberta Infrastructure is accepting project submissions through the Expression of Interest process for the Green Infrastructure, Community, Culture, and Recreation, and Rural and Northern Communities funding streams.
- Of these three funding streams, the Government of Alberta has received nearly 600 Expressions of Interest, with requests that exceed Alberta’s total funding allocation by more than 200 per cent.
- All Expressions of Interest are being reviewed for eligibility. Eligible projects are evaluated based on the following:
- Alignment with ICIP outcomes
- Anticipated social, economic, and environmental benefits
- Impact on community and stakeholder identified needs
- Project readiness including the amount of funding secured
- Applicants capacity to manage the project
- Alignment with Government of Alberta priorities
- Municipal projects that require a provincial cost-share are also assessed against the availability of funding in existing provincial grant programs.
- Prioritized projects will be brought forward through the capital planning process for consideration as part of Budget 2019.
- Following Budget 2019 decisions, successful proponents will be invited to complete a federal Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program project application form.
- All final funding decisions will be made by Infrastructure Canada.
- Any project costs or contracts signed prior to this federal approval will not be eligible to be paid through Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program.
- Alberta Infrastructure continues to accept expressions of interest on an ongoing basis. Applicants can access the expression of interest form at alberta.ca/investing-canada-infrastructure-program.aspx
For enquiries, please contact:
Director of External Relations & Advocacy