The Shop Foreman is responsible for overseeing the preventative maintenance, service, and repairs of all Wheatland County vehicles, equipment and the Shop facility, ensuring all work is done in a timely and cost effective manner and in accordance with Wheatland County policies.
Reporting to the Shop Foreman is the Shop Sub-Foreman, Journeyman Heavy Equipment Technician, Journeyman Automotive Technician, Partsperson, Apprentice Partsperson, Welder Fabricator, Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician, and the Construction Serviceman.
The Shop Foreman will provide back-up support within the Public Works Operations as required.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- As a supervisor with direct reports, participate in the recruitment and selection process, conduct new employee onboarding / orientation, train, coach, performance manage, participate in the progressive disciplinary process up to and including terminations, participate in employees’ career development, and actively participate in other corporate-endorsed human resource management processes and procedures.
- Maintain the County owned radio system and associated works.
- Maintain the County GPS tracking system.
- Coordinate the maintenance of County owned equipment with authorized sub-contractors.
- Maintain emergency backup generators and the fire protection system in the County yard.
- Develop and maintain a fleet replacement and maintenance program.
- Coordinate safety inspections of Handi-buses, Fire department vehicles, and emergency vehicles.
- Report equipment deficiencies along with corrective measures.
- Detect the cause of equipment failures and recommend preventative measures.
- Pre-order necessary repair parts and materials.
- Review daily repair and preventative maintenance reports; review safety checks on a daily basis.
- Manage the Wheatland County safety fitness certificate and ensure it remains in good standing.
- Ensure adherence to all applicable Wheatland County policies and bylaws.
- Maintain own compliance with OH&S and ensure all applicable employees are in compliance with OH&S including employee attendance at regular safety tailgate meetings, employees being properly trained in OH&S related topics, and ensuring employees complete work in a safe manner.
- Appropriately, and in a timely manner complete administrative tasks (e.g., review and authorize time sheets for direct reports).
- Relate to and communicate with co-workers, management, ratepayers, and vendors sincerely, clearly, tactfully, promptly and courteously; respond to inquiries and complaints promptly and professionally.
- Perform tasks, consistent with the position, including special projects / assignments, as may be required on an ad hoc basis.
- Heavy Duty Mechanic licence
- Vehicle Inspection licence
- Valid Class 1 Alberta drivers’ licence
- WHMIS and First Aid Certification
- Related experience along with supervisory experience
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with other team members, the public / Wheatland County citizens, external agencies, etc.
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Jan 16, 2019
Closing Date: Jan 28, 2019