Key Responsibilities Include:
• Coach, mentor and support staff in their professional development and in delivering the core services to the customer.
• Develop and maintain a working knowledge of the Municipal Government Act, the Subdivision and Development Regulations, the County’s Municipal Development Plan and Land Use Bylaw, Area Structure Plans as well as other plans and planning studies. Be familiar with other legislation or regulations which may be relevant to planning and development practices, such as Alberta Land Use Framework, Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board Regulations and the Alberta Safety Codes Act.
• Assist and advise the Manager of Development Services as needed
• Bring forward recommendations as response to propels for complex planning and development applications.
• Attend and make presentations at hearings before the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board and the Municipal Government Board.
• Consult with area municipalities, other government agencies, developers, planning consultants, property owners and the public on issues related to the Development Services Department.
• Liaise and respond promptly in a positive manner to internal and external customer requests for information, or referrals on proposed applications.
• Attend courses and other training workshops as required.
• As the County’s Development Authority, utilize the Land Use Bylaw to process and render decisions where authorized on development permit applications and present the recommendations to the Development Authority, as required.
• Maintain and administer the Uniform Quality Management Plan (QMP). Administer the contract with an accredited agency as outline in the QMP and the Safety Codes Act.
• Review, analyze and make recommendations on development permit applications that must be decided by the Municipal Planning Commission (MPC). Attend and make presentations at MPC meetings.
• Responsible for the processing and consistent application of Land Use Bylaw enforcement. Support all staff in enforcing the Land Use Bylaw in response to public complaints in conjunction with Sturgeon County Protective Services Department.
• Coordinate the creation and negotiation of development agreements between developers and Sturgeon County, in conjunction with other County Departments.
• Coordinate with Engineering & Utility Services and developers to design or site-specific issues that arise through the course of planning, approving and constructing developments
• Provide information and assistance to applicants, as well as review, analyze and make recommendations on amendment, subdivision, endorsement and development applications.
• Attend meetings of County Council and present background, analysis and recommendations with respect to current planning reports on applications for amendment, subdivision, development, or other local planning matters required.
• Research and prepare reports on current and emerging policy issues and other planning documents or regulations.
• Process applications for new or amendment’s to Local Planning Documents (ASP’s, Outline Plans) and amendments to the Land Use Bylaw.
• Monitor the performance and effectiveness of the Land Use Bylaw, and participation in amendment processes when changes are required.
• Follow the Sturgeon County Health and Safety Management System guidelines and adhere to the Supervisors’ Responsibilities and Accountabilities as outlined in the Sturgeon County Safety Management System.
This position requires a degree in Land Use Planning, or related field, from post-secondary institute with a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience 2 of which in a supervisory capacity. Is a member of or eligible for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners. Municipal experience would be an asset. Applied Land Use Planning certificate also considered an asset. Valid driver’s license with clear driver’s abstract.
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Jul 03, 2019
Closing Date: Jul 26, 2019