The Town of Morinville, located in the northern Edmonton region, is a sophisticated urban community. With a population of over 10,500 and a healthy business environment and growing residential community. Morinville offers an excellent quality of life in a big town setting.
The Town of Morinville is currently seeking a Permanent Full-Time Senior Planner to join the Planning & Economic Development (PED) team. This team collaboratively works together within the regulatory environment to carry out advanced, complex planning activities supporting the long-term sustainable development of Morinville. Reporting to the Manager, Planning & Economic Development, the Senior Planner will be responsible for implementing long-range planning projects, delivering core planning services, and providing recommendations on planning and intergovernmental matters. This position will provide planning expertise, education, and engagement for stakeholders including the development industry, local businesses, regional partners, Council, and the general public.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Lead the Town’s approach and support decision-making relating to long-range planning.
- Undertake research and analysis as necessary for areas that are currently not subject to the Town of Morinville's statutory planning documents.
- Provide support to the CAO, GM’s, Manager PED, and Council for activities relating to Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board (EMRB).
- Prepare, write, and present to the Town Council, Committees, other governmental bodies, the general public and other organizations.
- Plan, implement, and report on public engagements.
- Research and identify opportunities for strategic improvement in the Town’s policies, regulations, and processes.
- Review, research, and provide evaluation for long range and current planning proposals based on planning documents, planning principles, bylaws, legislations, and other municipal policies and regulations.
- Responsible for managing the development, maintenance, and leading the evolution of the Town’s statutory and non-statutory planning documents.
- Continuously identify and execute opportunities to enhance the Town’s planning processes.
- Responsible for tracking and reporting on levies, reserves, and town owned lands.
- Provide support in coordinating timely intake, circulation, review, and evaluation of complete applications.
- Represent the Town at Regional Boards and Committees.
- Attend and participate in committees and other inter-departmental meetings.
- Monitor regional development activities and provide briefings as required.
- Review planning referrals from adjacent municipalities, regional municipalities, and EMRB, as needed.
- University Degree in Urban, Regional, Environmental Planning, or a related discipline. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Registered Professional Planner (RPP) designation (or progress towards designation) required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant working experience.
- Knowledge of municipal government and the application of bylaws and policies.
- Knowledge of the Municipal Government Act, Planning Hierarchy, and Planning Principles.
- Ability to interpret architectural drawings, site plans, and subdivision applications.
- Knowledge of Development Agreements, Land Use Bylaw, and Levy Bylaws.
- Strong negotiation and facilitation skills.
- Strong written, oral, and visual communication skills.
- Public engagement experience an asset.
- Project management experience an asset.
- GIS and Urban Design experience an asset.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: Annual salary range of $84,234 — $100,580 (7 Step Grid), based on 35 hours per week. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including Pension, professional development opportunities and a supportive work environment.
Position Type: Permanent Full Time
Posted Date: Sept 19, 2022
Closing Date: Oct 11, 2022
Job ID: 202247-SP