Are you an intermediate to senior-level planner looking for a high-level of professional responsibility to develop and implement planning strategies, statutory documents and municipal policy in a growing municipality?
Are you looking for opportunity to grow professionally while supported with paid training opportunities, a competitive salary, benefits after 30 days, 27 paid days off in first year + general holidays, pension plan, paid sick time and more?
What we need:
Rocky View County is looking for you to draw on your expertise acquired from extensive, varied and progressively more responsible levels of professional planning experience
This position will often have you taking a lead role in the review of planning and development applications, development of planning strategies, statutory documents and municipal policy. You will also be expected to handle a wide range of duties related to all manner and size of projects, policies, applications and operations of each of the Planning Sections.
As one of our Planners, you will work independently or in teams as the situation dictates. Presentations to Council, Boards and Committees are an integral component of the scope of duties. The more experienced Planners will act as a resource and mentor for more junior colleagues as well as other department employees.
You will need to nurture and maintain working relationships dealing with inter-municipal planning while advancing the interests of Rocky View County.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Interact on a continuous basis with the general public through front counter, telephone, and written inquiries and referrals as may be required to convey planning related information to citizens and other individuals and groups.
- Generally review, process and manage more complex redesignation, files for compliance to policy, regulations, and technical requirements
- Assist in identifying municipal, community or intermunicipal issues and opportunities that could be mitigated through better community planning.
- Review and respond to referrals from internal departments and government agencies.
- Conduct extensive research in specific or general project areas.
- Assist in the preparation of municipal policy plans, including Intermunicipal Development Plans, Municipal Development Plans, and Area Structure Plans.
- Participate in the interpretation of relevant Municipal or Provincial Planning Policy and Regulations and formulation of employee positions.
- Monitor and review Municipal and Intermunicipal Planning Legislation, policy, processes, plans, and initiatives.
- Prepare and presents reports, materials, and opinions as a representative of Rocky View to various bodies, including Council, Appeal Boards, Committees and Public groups and organizations.
- Manage assigned projects including the overseeing of planning work, technical and clerical support personnel involved in a project. However, supervision of employees is the responsibility of the Manager and Supervisor
- Manage and/or participate in complicated consultation processes, consultant contracts, including the preparation of Terms of Reference, and multi-disciplinary teams/projects.
- Provide/promote Municipal Planning Goals/Objectives to landowners and applicants.
- Effectively represent the County in public and landowner/applicant meetings.
- Perform other related duties – as may be assigned by the Supervisor, Manager, Executive Director or the CAO.
Completion of Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree in Planning (or related field)
along with a minimum of four years of progressively responsible and diversified experience in Municipal Planning environment.
Candidates not meeting all qualifications required, may be considered for Planner 1 position.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal communication and judgment; organizational and time management; facilitation, negotiation and mediation; and presentation and written skills.
- Thorough understanding of rural, urban and regional planning, their interrelationships and the environment, related regulatory environment, implementation techniques and consultation processes.
- Ability to relate strategic planning initiatives to policy implementation.
- Demonstrate excellent project management skills, particularly within complex, high profile, large-scale, or time-sensitive projects.
- Awareness and sensitivity towards the current economic and political environment and its impact on the planning environment.
- Able to deal with co-workers and the public in a positive, facilitative, and pleasant manner.
- Able to mentor and train other Planning employees.
- Able to meet frequent deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Consistently deliver high quality work and professional advice.
- Possess a successful record of management of increasingly more complex planning projects, meeting deadlines and a demonstrated ability to provide leadership within a team setting.
- Possess experience presenting to small and large groups in both casual and formal settings.
Interested applicants are invited to apply direct to https://www.rockyview.ca/careers.
Applications are due by 10 pm MST on the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: $81,021 - $108,730
Position Type: Permanent Full-time
Posted Date: Jan 07, 2021
Closing Date: Jan 24, 2021
Job ID: J0121-0195