Reporting to and receiving general management direction from the County’s Chief Administrative Officer, the Director of Public Works operates within applicable legislation, the strategic plan, bylaws, policies, and the broad expectations of the County, and sets in motion plans and actions that lead to positive results for the County relative to public works services and programs. The Director is expected to work collaboratively within the leadership team and is essential in assisting the CAO on proactively addressing and managing public works concerns that may be received.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please forward your cover letter, resume, and references by May 24th, 2019 to the attention of Tim Mahdiuk, Acting CAO
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however only those applicants that have been chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Developing and maintaining an engaged, productive, and safe workforce within road construction, maintenance, transportation, utilities, and shop and parts.
- Proactively addressing the needs and future direction of the County through:
- Providing input into the development of the strategic planning;
- Developing effective and sound tactical and operational plans for the department; and
- Developing and recommending operational policies and procedures.
- Ensuring sound financial and asset management within the department, developing and adhering to operating and capital departmental budgets.
- Ensuring all decisions within the department are consistent with human resources, safety, and operational policies.
- Acting as the industry liaison for the County’s Public Works department, including establishing and maintaining rapport with local industry.
- Additionally, the Director of Public Works may act in the absence of the County CAO.
The successful candidate:
Exhibits abilities and skills in:
- Brings progressively responsible experience at a management level, including responsibility for budgets, operational planning, and staff within a public works department in a municipality and/or a related industry.
- Brings their comprehensive knowledge and experience working with the public, including providing problem solving or decision making at a management level and/or within an escalated decision-making framework.
- Possesses a related post-secondary education in, for example, forestry or civil engineering.
The following would be considered assets in this position:
- Building and managing relationships, resolving issues and conflict in an effective, inclusive, transparent, respectful, and calm manner, employing a positive attitude in day-to-day work.
- Growing and developing a team, including guiding, coaching, and mentoring staff, providing direction and correction in a consistent, timely, and respectful manner.
- Establishing credibility through exercising good judgement, being open-minded, honest, fair, accountable for own actions, and maintaining tact and a participative management style.
- Managing multiple, and often conflicting, priorities while maintaining attention to detail, accuracy, and meeting deadlines, goals, and objectives.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills that allow for clear communication of complex matters.
- Experience with strategic planning and establishing measurements.
- Public Works experience regarding road building and maintenance.
This position works primarily indoors in an office setting; however, it will be expected that the position will be exposed to outdoor elements, broad range of terrain and working conditions when on site for any of the functions within Public Works. Travel may be required but is often limited to day trips. Occasional evening or trips over 2 or 3 days may be required.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: The County of St. Paul offers an excellent benefit and pension package, a competitive salary, and will negotiate within the position’s salary range based on experience and qualifications.
Posted Date: May 08, 2019
Closing Date: May 24, 2019