The Mackenzie Municipal Services Agency (MMSA) is a professional planning organization that straddles the line between municipal planning department and private consulting firm. We provide proactive and responsive community planning services to member municipalities located in northwestern Alberta. The MMSA is looking for a new leader to take the organization into its next chapter. The Director of Planning will be a highly motivated professional planner who loves rural and small urban Alberta, and is excited to live in, explore and contribute to the North.
Key Responsibilities Include:
GENERAL SCOPE OF POSITION
The incumbent will be responsible for the leadership of the overall operations of the Agency under the direction of the Executive Committee and the General Board Members. This includes, but is not limited to:
• Overall management of planning, GIS and administrative staff and resources to ensure a high quality of planning services are provided to member municipalities.
• Ensuring that planning and GIS services are provided in a cost-effective and consistent manner.
• Actively coordinating with municipal members to ensure service delivery and promoting the Agency’s services to ensure the recruitment and retention of member municipalities.
• Coordinating the delivery of a variety of planning services, including delivery of statutory plans, land use bylaws, municipal planning policies, site designs, and the process and decision support for municipal planning processes, including development permit, subdivision and appeal applications.
• Overseeing the preparation and administration of the annual budget for consideration of the Executive Committee.
• Ensuring the provision of the Subdivision Approving Authority and Administrative Assistant to the PRSDAB functions and processes.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE HAS:
• A post-secondary degree in planning recognized by the Canadian Institute of Planners, a Masters Degree in planning is considered an asset.
• APPI Regulated members preferred.
• A minimum of 7 to 10 years planning experience, preferably in a Canadian setting.
• Strong management and supervisory skills and experience.
• Strong political acumen, time management, organizational and inter-personal skills.
• Knowledge and proficiency in AutoCAD, GIS based programs, and Adobe Creative Suite considered an asset.
• Practical knowledge and experience in computer systems and business applications and a valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
TERMS AND BENEFITS This is a permanent, full-time position based on a 36.25 hour week. The Agency offers a competitive compensation and benefit package including membership in the Local Authorities Pension Plan.
Please submit a detailed resume and cover letter to Karen.email@example.com or by mailing to:
Karen Diebert, Manager
Mackenzie Municipal Services Agency
P.O. Box 450
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. More information about the agency can be found at http://mmsa.ca/.