DEPARTMENT: CAO Services
LOCATION: Administration Offices – Valleyview, DeBolt or Grovedale, Alberta
Located in Northwest Alberta, the Municipal District of Greenview is a vast and diverse area rich in oil and gas, fertile farm¬land, and mixed wood forests. As the third-largest rural municipality in Alberta, Greenview boasts diversity in economic activities and an extraordinary landscape. Greenview’s economy is strengthened by its diversity, a talented workforce and an entrepreneurial spirit that is second to none. Our residents experience adventure right in their backyards with lakes, rivers, Rocky Mountain peaks and vast prairie offering a year-round outdoor playground for all ages.
Key Responsibilities Include:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Communications Officer, the Communications Specialist is an enthusiastic professional who thrives in a fast paced environment working independently. Your creativity combined with strong writing skills will help you to identify solutions, adapt and respond within tight timelines. Your commitment to excellence is essential as we embark upon Greenview’s next 25 years.
Every day the Communications Department delivers projects that impact the public and provides communication services that support Council and the municipality. Our ideal candidate is extremely organized and provides care and attention to the smallest details. You will work with the Communications Officer, contractors, and advertisers to create and share Greenview’s story. Expertise in social media, writing, editing and design are key to success in this position. The Communications Specialist must have excellent public relations skills and will be called upon to organize public events and represent Greenview’s brand.
Web and Social Media
• Administer and maintain website and social media channels including updating content, adding users and coaching web editors.
• Create dynamic campaigns using tools such as Hootsuite, Wordpress and Mailout.
• Ongoing media monitoring and social media analytics.
• Develop, edit photo and post video content.
Writing and Editing
• Create quarterly ratepayer magazine.
• Ensure consistent messaging and organizational standards are followed.
• Edit technical documents for readability and adherence to organizational standards.
• Draft media releases, briefings and key messages.
• Prepare reports and requests for decision for Council and Senior Leadership Team.
Branding & Marketing
• Assist in re-branding and design initiatives.
• Prepare content for bi-weekly municipal pages in local newspapers.
• Develop marketing collateral.
• Oversee the Greenview Store, maintain catalogue and inventory of promotional stock and work with vendors to supply new items.
• Evaluate projects and marketing through surveys, Google Analytics and other tools.
• Coordinate Communications calendar with scheduled media releases, advertising campaigns, publications, public relations activities and major events.
• Maintain templates and update style guide to enhance our brand.
Digital Asset Management
• Develop and maintain digital asset database.
• Ensure all communications products are current and accessible to stakeholders.
• Ensure protected digital assets are readily accessible to required internal users.
• Maintain Communications Department electronic and paper filing systems.
Public Relations & Citizen Engagement
• Pre-event planning, design, set up and attendance at public relations events.
• Occasional use of Greenview’s mascot costume at community events.
• Overtime is required during peak event season.
• Tracking budget expenses and forecasting.
• Preparing purchase orders, invoices and funding requests for Communications Officer’s approval.
• Attend Council and committee meetings.
• Act as back up for the Communications Officer.
• Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
• To perform this job successfully the individual must be able to perform the duties listed above with excellent quality, timeliness and precision.
• Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Political Science, Community Development or a related discipline is required.
• Five years related work experience (municipal government sector preferred).
• Extensive experience with Adobe Creative Cloud.
• Digital asset management experience.
• Superior verbal communication and personal interaction skills.
• Demonstrated skill and flair in business writing, editing and proofreading.
• Strategic thinker and problem solver who is self-motivated.
• Must be able to work in high stress environments, including Emergency Operations Centre (EOC). Previous EOC experience is considered an asset.
• Incident Command System (ICS) 200 and Alberta Emergency Management Agency (AEMA) Alert System training required or must be completed within 6 months of hire.
• Criminal record and vulnerable sector checks required.
• CPRS or IABC membership. If not a member, must obtain membership upon hire.
• IAP2 Certification required within six months of hire.
• Class 5 driver’s license.
• Works collaboratively, takes responsibility and achieves positive results.
• High level of emotional intelligence, builds understanding and communicates authentically with people from all walks of life.
• Focused and professional, works efficiently on multiple projects to deliver quality results on time and on budget.
• Learns quickly and adapts to changing priorities in a fast paced environment.
• Comfortable with new technology, digital tools, software and video/photo equipment.
• Knowledge of legislation that impacts municipal communications including the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Municipal Government Act, Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation, and Public Participation Regulation.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT:
• Extensive use of computers
• Subject to working in an indoor and outdoor environment
• Use and operation of vehicle
• Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs for event set up, including large displays. Must be able to lift or carry boxes of promotional and other materials.
• Normal working day consists of 7.5 hours; however occasional overtime or weekend work may be required
HEALTH & SAFETY:
All personnel working at the Municipal District of Greenview are governed by the Municipal District Health & Safety Policy.
• Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with Municipal District Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
• Ensure proper ergonomic requirements are met and good ergonomic procedures are practiced.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
JOB POSTING INFORMATION:
Interested candidates may submit cover letter and resume by 19th April 2019, in one of the following ways:
Mail or Drop Off: Municipal District of Greenview No. 16
4806 – 36 Ave., Box 1079, Valleyview, Alberta T0H 3N0
By E-mail: email@example.com
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Mar 22, 2019
Closing Date: Apr 19, 2019