Posting ID: 22-37
Permanent, full-time – 35 hours per week
$101,738.00 - $127,181.60 / annum
At the City of Leduc, our mission is People. Building. Community. We offer a collaborative and dynamic workplace where our values of Teamwork, Service, Respect, and Leadership guide our conduct and contribute to a healthy culture. If you would like to work as part of a progressive organization and enjoy a fast-paced environment, then this may be the opportunity for you.
We are currently recruiting a permanent, full-time City Clerk in our City Manager’s department.
About this opportunity:
Reporting to the City Solicitor, the City Clerk provides strategic leadership, management, and governance support to a broad team across several municipal departments and functions. As a trusted advisor on matters of municipal governance, the Clerk is responsible to provide administrative support to City Council and other boards and agencies, including two quasi-judicial tribunals: the Assessment Review Board and the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board. The Clerk, as the designated Returning Officer, administers all municipal elections and by-elections and additionally, manages and facilitates the municipal census and the public petition process.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Providing procedural guidance, based on a full understanding of the applicable legislation, to ensure Council decisions are enforceable, transparent, and retrievable
- Overseeing the provision of administrative support to quasi-judicial tribunals that hear appeals of assessment and development decisions made by City Administration
- Managing and overseeing the municipal census every two years, including carrying out all aspects of the census reporting requirements and working with internal and external stakeholders, parties and partners
- Administering the municipal election, including training elections workers, securing voting station locations and negotiating associated costs, developing all elections documentation, managing school board elections, and collaborating with other internal departments to develop and deliver Council orientation
- Supervising, setting performance standards and conducting performance appraisals for the Clerk’s department, which includes the Records Management and Receptions team
- Setting and managing the budget for the Clerk’s department
You are an ideal candidate if you have the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree in public administration, business administration, political science or other related discipline
- Eight years of professional experience in a clerking/legislative role with a municipality or government agency, with a minimum of five years’ experience in a supervisory/management role
- A certificate in Local Government Administration, National Advanced Certificate in Local Authority Administration and/or Certified Clerk designation is desirable
- Formal training in Records management and Secretary of quasi-judicial tribunals
- Training in Robert’s Rules of Order and parliamentary procedures
- Significant experience conducting a municipal election and municipal census
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Municipal Government Act, FOIP, Local Authorities Election Act, bylaws and policies
- Strong political acumen and awareness
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex, politically-sensitive issues and emergent projects
- Must be willing to provide a current Criminal Records Check at own expense
- Must be fully immunized against COVID-19 and be willing to provide proof of immunization or provide written approved exemption based on a protected ground under the Alberta Human Rights Act
To apply, please visit out website at www.leduc.ca/careers
Competition closes at 10:00 pm (MT) on May 16, 2022. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same or lower classification level. Due to the high volume of resumes received, we are not able to respond to individual phone calls. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be selected.
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Apr 12, 2022
Closing Date: May 16, 2022