The Alberta Electric System Operator is hosting an engagement session
The Alberta Electric System Operator
(AESO) has released its preferred rate design for the Bulk and Regional Tariff redesign
. This tariff is how the AESO captures fifty percent of the costs necessary to pay for investments to the electricity transmission system. This redesign is needed to address a number of factors identified by the AESO. These include:
- The current tariff relies upon 12-CP (peak hour) rate for cost recovery for transmission costs, which has increased substantially.
- The increase to the 12-CP rate has caused some customers to avoid paying peak hour charges by changing when they consume power.
- Customers that can change when they consume power are not paying for the same sunk transmission costs, resulting in other customers paying greater transmission costs.
- The tariff needs to be redesigned so future investments to the transmission system reflect how it is being used and so costs can be recovered accordingly.
The AESO will be hosting a Bulk and Regional Tariff Design Stakeholder Engagement Session 5B (DOS)
on May 20, 2021 from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm.
The purpose of this session is to engage stakeholders in a discussion of the AESO’s demand opportunity service (DOS) modernization recommendation to allow expanded eligibility (e.g., energy storage). The specific objectives include:
- Present additional background on the AESO’s DOS.
- Share AESO’s learning on DOS modernization stakeholder feedback.
- Present and discuss the AESO’s DOS modernization recommendation for the purpose of seeking stakeholder feedback on the recommendation.
is required for this event.
Director of External Relations & Advocacy