The Government of Alberta is continuing the process of transitioning SuperNet to a new operator
Earlier in 2018, the Government of Alberta selected Bell as the new operator of the Alberta SuperNet. As Service Alberta has worked with Bell to establish details of a new operating agreement, potential impacts that the change may have on rural municipalities and rural broadband users has not been available.
Service Alberta has provided RMA with the following update on SuperNet and the progress being made in transitioning to Bell.
- The contract with Bell came into effect on September 1, 2018. At this point, existing services, processes and pricing remain in place. Service moves, additions, changes, etc. may continue through the usual channels.
- Any physical changes to service associated with a transition to SuperNet 2.0 will not occur until mid-2019 (aside from select pilot sites).
- Service continuity is, and will continue to be, prioritized throughout the transition process.
- As Bell has acquired Axia, service continuity is expected to be further strengthened as the short-term “business as usual” service delivery will still occur through Axia representatives.
Municipal contact for SuperNet services
- Any questions about the transition process, service delivery, etc. can be directed to the following specialized municipal contact:
Lisa McDonald, Account Manager
110, 220 12th Ave SW Calgary, AB T2R 0E9
Axia FibreTown internet service provider questions
- Axia was previously working with several communities throughout Alberta to deliver fibre to the home. These agreements were entirely independent of Axia’s role as SuperNet operator. Municipalities that were working with Axia to become FibreTowns are invited to contact the following with any questions:
Senior Manager, Bell Canada
Government & Community Affairs
Tel: 204 941-8256
SuperNet Network Services - Service Catalogues - Version 1
- The first version of the public sector SuperNet network service catalogues are now available. The catalogue may be accessed by request to Lisa McDonald at the contact information listed above.
- All municipalities who currently use SuperNet public sector services will be contacted in the near future to schedule a consultation related to a review of the service catalogues.
Service Alberta has committed to sharing addition information with RMA as it becomes available. For technical questions related to SuperNet, please contact the Bell representatives listed in this bulletin.
For further enquiries, please contact:
Director of External Relations & Advocacy