The application period for the 2023 RMA Post-Secondary Scholarship
is currently open and will close on August 31, 2023. Established in 1995, this scholarship program acknowledges the critical role an educated population plays in the prosperity of rural communities. If you are a rural Albertan passionate about contributing to local government or rural community development, we strongly encourage you to apply. A scholarship in the amount of $1,000 is presented to one successful applicant from each of the RMA’s five districts annually.
Eligibility and Application Procedure
To be eligible, an applicant must:
- Be a resident of a municipality that is a full member in good standing with the RMA, which includes municipal districts, counties, specialized municipalities, and the Special Areas;
- Be registered in their first four years of study at a recognized post-secondary institution (i.e. the applicant must not have any previous degrees or diplomas); and
- Preference will be given to candidates attending a recognized post-secondary institution in Alberta, except in instances where the chosen program of study is not available in Alberta.
- Be pursuing a course of studies of relevance to local government or rural communities.
- This criterion is not intended to restrict eligibility; instead, applicants are invited to explain the relevance of their intended study program within their letter of application.
Complete the application online
. Submission packages must also include the following items:
- A letter from the applicant, setting out their goals and objectives in pursuing further education, as well as the relevance of their study program to local government or rural communities;
- Official high school transcripts if entering first year, or the most recent transcript from their post-secondary institute if entering a subsequent year;
- A brief résumé outlining employment experience, community involvement, volunteer activities, recreational activities, cultural pursuits, etc.; and
- Written confirmation from local rural municipality’s chief administrative officer (CAO) certifying that the applicant is a resident of the municipality.
All interested persons are invited to apply for the RMA Post-Secondary Scholarship by submitting the required information through the RMA’s online application process
Policy & Research Analyst
Manager of Policy & Advocacy