The Town of Athabasca is a vibrant rural community in which to live, work and relax. Located in the picturesque Athabasca River Valley, just 150 km north of Edmonton on Highway 2, Athabasca has a population of 2,990 and growing. The Town offers an affordable lifestyle and first-class recreational opportunities including a championship golf course, ski trails, camping, fishing, and hunting, as well as access to educational opportunities with Athabasca University.
- Operate and maintain distribution equipment including computer control systems, alarm signals, regulate flows and distribute potable water
- Perform routine maintenance on various distribution equipment
- Collect and analyze water samples from the reservoirs and random spots in the distribution system
- Perform laboratory duties
- Operation and maintenance of wastewater collection and treatment system
- Complete and maintain logs and reports
- Perform meter installations and bi-monthly meter readings (radio read system)
- Effective communication and organizational skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with contractors, developers, other staff, and the public
- Interdepartmental co-operation regarding duties such as: servicing of line repairs and replacement; repair, maintenance, and replacement of hydrants; flushing of sanitary and storm water lines
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Valid Class 5 or better operator’s license, air brake certification is an asset
- Minimum certification levels to be maintained – Water Distribution Level 1, Wastewater Treatment Level 1 and Wastewater Collection Level 1
- Required to undertake specialized training on as needed basis
- Familiar with and practice regulations and recommendations of WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System)
- Self-motivated, with high energy and an engaging level of enthusiasm
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team
- High level of integrity and work ethic
- Ability to perform requested tasks with minimal direction
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office programs i.e., Excel, Word, and Outlook, with a willingness to learn programs associated to operation of the utilities infrastructure.
A full position description is available at the Town office or online at www.athabasca.ca
This is a permanent fulltime position; serving a 6-month probationary period to be eligible for 100% employer paid benefits and 1 year probation to be eligible for pension. The range for this position is $25.50 - $29.88 per hour. Should an applicant’s qualifications not meet the required criteria a lower remuneration will be negotiated. The current work week is based on 40 hours, 7:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday.
Resumes will be accepted until Friday, November 19, 2021
. Please note that only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted, however we thank all applicants for their interest.
We value applicants with a diverse range of skills, experience, and competencies, and encourage you to apply.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a resume including a cover letter and a list of work-related references, recent drivers abstract and a criminal record check to:
Town of Athabasca
4705 – 49 Avenue
Athabasca AB, T9S 1B7
Attention: Human Resources