Are you an Engineer looking for a high-level of professional responsibility to review subdivision and development applications related to water, wastewater, and stormwater issues, and the coordination and planning of related capital projects to ensure protection of public health, safety and the environment in a growing municipality?
What we need:
Rocky View County’s diverse communities are continuing to grow, and our Engineering team is working to provide expert advice and recommendations to County leadership and Council, as well as guidance to the development community regarding Municipal engineering policies, servicing standards, and procedures.
As one of our Engineers, responding to inquiries from Rocky View employees and the development community and providing consistent advice, interpretation, and clarification regarding County servicing standards, engineering design and construction procedures related to municipal infrastructure is an integral component of the role. Intermediate to senior-level Engineers will act as a resource and mentor for more junior colleagues as well as other department employees.
You will need to nurture and maintain working relationships dealing with our many municipal partners, while advancing the interests of the County.
Applicants with significant experience may be considered for a senior engineer role.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Lead by example, by providing superior customer service as well as following and promoting industry best practices and County values and objectives.
- Review all aspects of development proposals including, water, wastewater, storm water and transportation systems. Ensure that engineering, design, and construction for new developments are in accordance with the County's servicing standards, provincial regulations, and accepted engineering practices to ensure functionality and safety for the County’s residents and to minimize County risk.
- Communicate regularly with external peers in Alberta Environment, Alberta Transportation, water and wastewater service providers within Rocky View and other jurisdictions regarding new development within the County.
- Provide advice and assistance to the Manager and Supervisor in negotiations with developers or other municipalities and agencies for water, wastewater, and stormwater related services.
- Provide advice and recommendations regarding the updating of policies and procedures related to roads, water, wastewater, and stormwater in response to ongoing changes (i.e. legislative) as necessary.
- Facilitate public consultation processes and public presentations to public groups and organizations as required.
- Prepare development agreements, easements, caveats and other documentation related to new development.
- Communicate effectively and possess the ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Make decisions on open ended problems derived from broad objectives, instructions and policies. Problems addressed and subsequent decision making are made utilizing factual data and applying fundamental principles.
The typical minimum level of education to perform this job competently is completion of Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering from a recognized university along with a minimum of 3 years recent, progressive experience in municipal servicing is preferred. An equivalent combination of related experience and education may be considered.
- Registered or eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer (PEng) or Professional Licensee with APEGA.
- Maintain current working knowledge of professional engineering practices, related Federal and Provincial legislation, and local government practices.
- Demonstrate a high level of integrity and professional conduct and is perceived as consistent, neutral, and objective in business activities. Demonstrate initiative and innovation to identify areas for improvement and implements appropriate changes as necessary.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the municipal engineering environment including associated risk management and liability concerns.
- Promote a work environment that is productive, reliable, and efficient and is geared to service excellence by working collaboratively with coworkers, the public and external organizations and representatives.
- Above average written and oral communication skills including the ability to appropriately gauge the needs of the situation and adapt the communication style accordingly.
- Strong problem solving skills including the ability to listen effectively to resolve the core issues.
- Facilitate development while protecting the County's interests as the top priority in all interactions.
- Demonstrates confidence in advice given and complex decisions made and is able to support and justify these as required.
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to frequently adapt to shifting priorities of the organization.
- Reviewing engineering projects at various levels of complexity ranging from those with limited scope and complexity to working independently on engineering review and analysis assignments. Work assignments will be given by the Manager or Supervisor.
- May be expected to provide advice and guidance to other technical employees including technologists or engineers.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with water, wastewater, and stormwater engineering practices and project management in a municipal setting.
- Background or expertise level in at least one or more of the following three areas and good knowledge base of the remainder: Water; water sources, treatments, transmissions and pertinent regulations. Wastewater; collection, treatments and discharges and pertinent regulations. Storm water; collection, treatments, best management practices and pertinent regulations.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, Project, and Access).
- Possess a valid class 5 driver's license.
Interested applicants are invited to apply direct to https://www.rockyview.ca/careers.
Applications are due by 10 pm MST on the closing date.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: $88,060 – 103,470 / Annum
Posted Date: Sept 28, 2022
Closing Date: Oct 16, 2022