The County is seeking applications for the position of Fire Chief. This position reports directly to the Director of County Services and is accountable for the effective planning, development, coordination, implementation, and delivery of emergency services (fire and rescue services) for Thorhild County. The ideal candidate will demonstrate sound and well-informed judgment, maintain effective internal and external communications, and manage incidents decisively and effectively.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Primary duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Ensures responses to emergency situations and on-scene command and coordination for incidents (structural fires, motor vehicle accidents, hazardous materials incidents, rescue and other emergency services responses) are completed in a safe and effective manner to protect the community and responders.
- Effectively manages the Thorhild County Emergency Services Fire Officer and Firefighters by supervising, participation in the recruitment and selection process (e.g., develop and implement a Firefighter recruitment and retention program), onboarding /orientation, payroll approval, training, coaching, and participation in the progressive disciplinary process up to and including terminations.
- Administers fire operations plans, oversees the implementation of the OH&S program for the fire department, Safety Codes Fire Discipline and Prevention program, fire training and emergency planning/response measures, including the development and implementation of Municipal Emergency Management Plans.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1001 Level II Professional Firefighter qualifications
- NFPA 472 Hazardous Materials
- NFPA 1041 Fire Service Instructor Professional
- NFPA 1021 Level I Fire Officers Professional qualifications (NFPA 1021 level II is an asset)
- Incident Command System (ICS) 300, (ICS 400 would be an asset)
- Working knowledge of wildfire and wildfire urban interface strategic and tactical concepts
- Basic Fire Safety Codes Officer certification (is an asset)
- Working knowledge of the Alberta Fire and Building Codes, Alberta Safety Codes, Alberta OH&S Regulations and Alberta Emergency Management Act
- Possess 5-7 years related Fire Department and administrative experience in progressively responsible positions including knowledge of theories, principles and practices of Fire, Rescue and Emergency Services
- Possess 3-5 years of progressive experience in a management or supervisory role, preferably in a rural municipality.
- High proficiency in the use of computer programs including MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal / interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Well-organized and excellent time management skills;
- Current Standard First Aid/CPR;
- Valid Class 3, with Q Endorsement Driver’s license.
- Successfully complete a Fitness to Work Assessment
- Successful candidate will be required to provide a Criminal Records Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Check, and Driver’s Abstract.
- Successful candidate must reside with Thorhild County municipal boundaries.
Thorhild County offers a competitive wage and benefit & pension plans. Work schedule is 40 hours per week and the ability to respond to evening and weekend emergency calls or other related evening and weekend meetings or training as required. A complete job description can be found on the Thorhild County website at www.thorhildcounty.com.
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Jan 28, 2021
Closing Date: May 15, 2021