The Economic Development Officer supports economic growth by attracting new businesses and promoting the expansion of existing businesses in Wheatland County.
As a part of the Community Services department, the Economic Development Officer will have a strong understanding of community assets and be an advocate to both internal and external markets.
Please submit resume to:
Human Resources (Marked confidential), Wheatland County
RR1 Hwy 1
Strathmore, Alberta T1P 1J6
Fax (403) 934-4889
In accordance with Wheatland County’s Personnel Policy, the successful candidate will be required to submit to a Criminal Records Check, and must be legally entitled to work for any employer in Canada.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Attract new businesses and expand existing businesses in the County
- Works closely with the Planning department and Council to ensure understanding and awareness of economic development
- Strives to have senior management and Council part of creating a pro-business environment
- Supports, promotes, and advises local businesses within the County
- Create a link between municipal, provincial, and global economic development resources
- Ensure adherence to all applicable Wheatland County policies and bylaws.
- Ensure compliance with OH&S including attendance at safety meetings, being properly trained in OH&S related topics (e.g., Emergency Management training and exercises), and ensuring work is completed in a safe manner.
- Appropriately, and in a timely manner complete personal administrative tasks (e.g., personal timesheets), when required.
- Relate to and communicate with co-workers, management, customers and vendors sincerely, clearly, tactfully, promptly and courteously; respond to inquiries and complaints promptly and professionally.
- Perform tasks, consistent with the position, including special projects / assignments, as may be required on an ad hoc basis.
- Degree or diploma in Business Administration, Commerce, Economics, Communications, or related field; or equivalent experience.
- Completion or willingness to complete the Certified Economic Developer (Ec.D) designation
- Membership or ability to attain membership with Economic Developers Alberta (EDA)
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in economic development, preferably in a rural municipality
- Experience in business and / or development field in the private sector
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work strategically with municipal Council and the public
- Strong customer service skills providing courteous and efficient services
- Proficiency in computer programs including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Valid Class 5 Alberta drivers’ licence
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively in a team environment
- This position works a 5 day work week, Monday to Friday, with one day off in a 3 week cycle; hours of work: standard 37.5 hour work week
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Mar 15, 2019
Closing Date: Apr 03, 2019