Director of Corporate Services
We are looking to fill a full time vacancy within our team here at Kneehill County. We are a talented, intelligent, fun and energetic team looking for a leader who will encourage, support and continue to build our team further. We are hoping to find a candidate who will match our enthusiasm and desire for a collaborative, effective, creative and fun work environment! Do you have what it takes to work with us? Are you a positive person, that engages with people naturally?
We are located in the heart of central Alberta, approximately 1-hour south east of Red Deer and 1 hour and 20 minutes north east of Calgary. Kneehill County is a progressive rural municipality comprised of 814,653 acres of land and a population of approximately 5,000. Within our County boundaries, are the Towns of Three Hills and Trochu, Villages of Acme, Carbon and Linden, and 4 Hamlets (Torrington, Huxley, Swalwell, Wimborne) and other neighborhoods (Hesketh, Sunnyslope) with a total combined population of 11,193. Agriculture is the backbone of the local economy, complemented by oil and gas, alternative energy such as wind power, as well as tourism and outdoor attractions including Horseshoe Canyon. Kneehill County is also part of the Canadian Badlands tourism group. There are many other attractions which draw people and business to our friendly area!
Under the direction of the Chief Administrative Officer, this Director position is responsible for developing, planning, organizing, leading, and managing the strong group of staff that make up the County’s Corporate Services Department. This may include opportunities to participate in the Health and Safety Committee, Social Club and our non-competitive top tier softball team.
Key Responsibilities Include:
The key responsibilities are:
Areas that can add to our team:
- Provide financial services leadership, advice and guidance to Council, CAO and Department Heads.
- Prepare and implement short and long-term goals and objectives to ensure that Department financial policies and practices are consistent with the Corporate Strategic Plan.
- Develop, communicate and administer financial services policies and practices consistent with corporate strategies and initiatives.
- Prepare the annual operating and capital budgets, the long-term capital, as well as other financial plans and forecasts.
- Develop and implement financial controls to ensure the integrity of records for all financial and accounting function, including recommendations for system enhancements.
- Manage investment portfolio, banking relationships and reserves.
- Ensure compliance with the Municipal Government Act, statutory requirements, Council policies and the Corporate Strategic Plan.
- Prepare year end audit papers, provide assistance to external auditor and prepare annual financial statements.
- Analyze, compile and assess financial reports and data.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all areas of the organization.
- Leadership and growth within our teams and oneself.
- Strategic, long-term thinker.
- Organized in thought and process.
- Ability to have fun and get serious work done.
- Proven consistency and strong team support.
- Sports team loyalties may be questioned and analyzed.
General Technical Requirements:
- Accounting Designation (CPA) would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of current financial practices, specifically those related to the public sector, municipal legislation and relevant statutes
- Strong computer skills, particular emphasis on the Microsoft Suite
- Above average analytical, problem solving, planning and organizing skills
- Strong cognitive ability to balance the big picture while focusing on the details of processes and systems
- 5 + years of progressive experience and leadership within a municipality
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: June 12, 2019
Closing Date: June 28, 2019