Town of Bonnyville
Corporate Health and Safety Manager
The Town of Bonnyville is seeking an individual to work within a team-oriented organization to undertake the role of Corporate Health and Safety Manager. The Town of Bonnyville is located in the growing northeast region of Alberta. With a population of over 6,400 people, the Town of Bonnyville is at the heart of the Lakeland with access to a variety of recreational activities.
The position of Corporate Health and Safety Manager reports to the General Manager of Planning and Community Services. The Corporate Health and Safety Manager interacts with all Town departments and their primary function will be to ensure Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulations, and Code compliance. The Corporate Health and Safety Manager will be prepared to develop and administer programs to ensure the safety of all employees, contractors and visitors to facilities owned and operated by the Town of Bonnyville. The Corporate Health and Safety Manager will ensure facility compliance with health and safety regulations, policies, and procedures; and to perform a variety of tasks related to assigned area of responsibility.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Preparing a corporate wide Health and Safety Program for the Town of Bonnyville.
- Conducts and coordinates the Alberta Municipal Health and Safety Association (AMHSA) Audit for the Town of Bonnyville
- Conducts new hire safety orientations.
- Performs hazard identifications and assessments and ensures that all staff adheres to the OH&S Act, Regulations, and Code and WCB Case Management.
- Processes accident/incident investigation documentation and initiates WCB paperwork in conjunction with the HR department, as needed.
- Maintains safety training records for staff and tracks certification and required recertification dates in conjunction with the HR Department.
- Provides recommendations for relevant safety training for employees in support of the respective departments and staff position.
- Advises management in determining solutions and policies to address health and safety issues; recommends internal health and safety rules, policies, and guidelines, working in conjunction with staff and or other OH&S governing bodies
- Evaluates and reviews operating procedures and safety precautions to minimize the potential for accident, injury, or illness
- Prepares training manuals and outlines; implements approved rules, policies, and guidelines.
Maintains an inventory of required Personal Protective Equipment for facilities and equipment owned by the Town of Bonnyville and records, distributes, and ensures proper use by employees of any required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- A minimum of three (3) to five (5) years progressive safety experience in occupational health and safety setting with preference to a municipal environment.
- Post-Secondary Education with a completion of a recognized OH&S Management Certificate or Diploma Program (other equivalent combinations of education and work experience may be considered).
- Alberta Municipal Health and Safety certification, National Construction Safety Officer and/or Canadian Registered Safety Professional designation is required.
- Excellent time management, organization and written/oral skills will be required.
- Interpersonal skills to work with staff, the public and interaction with Council will be required.
- Current H2S, St. John Ambulance First Aid/CPR, WHMIS Train the Trainer, TDG Train the Trainer and Confined Space Entry Training.
- Possession and maintenance of an applicable valid driver’s license with a current driver abstract.
- Sound working knowledge and understanding of Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Regulations and Acts.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Experience in a municipal setting would be beneficial.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher.
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Nov 16, 2021
Closing Date: Dec 10, 2021