If you enjoy a rural lifestyle and would like to work for a highly professional and progressive organization with a great team environment, then this may be the position for you.
We are a welcoming and thriving community. Situated just a few hours north of Alberta’s major cities, our residents enjoy the freedom of the great outdoors. With a service area population of 17,440, Big Lakes County expands over 13,942 square kilometers.
We are proud to be home to the largest accessible lake in Alberta, rugged forests, and rolling countryside. We are equally proud of our diverse and talented workforce who have helped to expand opportunities in Big Lakes County. We have an abundance of natural resources – agriculture, forestry, oil and gas that continues to expand and strengthen our economy. We’ve also just scratched the surface in exploring opportunities in transportation and logistics, tourism, education, construction, health, retail, and information and communications technology (ICT). Possibilities are endless in Big Lakes County for those with the vision to help see them grow.
Reporting to the Agricultural Fieldman, the Assistant Agricultural Fieldman is responsible for the implementation and management of sound agricultural programs for the public and for the implementation of the ALUS program.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Provides technical support to the ALUS PAC (Partnership Advisory Committee), creating and presenting project summaries for potential projects at PAC meetings.
- Liaising with agricultural producers to create project proposals, monitor current projects, and providing program support.
- Liaison with local non-profit organizations to deliver the ALUS program.
- Assist in the preparation and monitoring of ALUS expenditures and budget planning.
- Assist in developing, maintaining and managing relationships with partner organizations.
- Assist in advisory role to producers on agricultural and other related topics.
- Assist in supervising and providing training and guidance for summer staff and project personnel.
- Provides monthly reports to the Agricultural Fieldman.
- Assist Agricultural Fieldman with ASB meetings.
- Responsible for the planning of extension workshops to the public.
- Act as resource person to the Agriculture Fieldman and sits on various committees as required.
- Adheres to guidelines as set out in accordance with established policy:
- Pest Control
- Soil Conservation
- Weed Inspection and Control
- Roadside Vegetation Control
- Aquatic Invasive Species
- Rural and Community Services:
- Public awareness through workshops, seminars, field days and provide educational materials.
- Assist in the equipment rental program
- Assist farmers with development of environmental farm plans and CAP grant applications.
- Administer shelterbelt program.
Education & Experience
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Degree (B.Sc./P.Ag) or diploma in Agriculture or Environmental Sciences is desirable
- Pesticide Applicators License‐ Agriculture, Industrial and Landscape Certificates
- Good physical condition to perform both field and office duties
- Familiarity with ALUS Canada
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Operator’s
- Current (5 yrs) drivers abstract
- Certification or willingness to obtain: WHMIS, TDG, Standard First Aid/CPR, and/or other training as required
Submit cover letter and resume, including references to:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Record keeping skills
- Must maintain confidentiality
- Must be self-motivated, and able to work with minimal supervision
- Weed and Crop identification and knowledge
Deadline for applications: February 7, 2020
- Eunice McCauley
- Human Resources Manager
- Big Lakes County
- Box 239, High Prairie, AB T0G 1E0
- Ph: 780-523-5955 Fx: 780-523-4227
Big Lakes County thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Visit our website at www.biglakescounty.ca for more information.
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Jan 27, 2020
Closing Date: Feb 07, 2020