Lamont County is seeking an experienced and highly motivated individual to join our team.
Reporting to the Director of Public Works, the Water Utilities Supervisor
is responsible for the day-to-day operation and maintenance of the municipal water utilities for Lamont County. This position is responsible for ensuring the municipal water systems operate in accordance with environmental legislation and approvals.
While providing supervision and direction to the Utility Operators team, this role oversees field operations, plans projects and administers contracts, assists in procurement, and performs a variety of administrative responsibilities. This role also performs the full responsibilities of the Utility Operator role as required.
Supervision and Direction:
Field Operations Oversight:
- Supervises and directs the activities of staff including work assignment, performance evaluation, and employee development; participates in employee selection, disciplinary action, and complaint resolution.
- Provides input for and assists in the preparation of performance evaluations of assigned subordinate personnel.
- Trains assigned personnel in work methods, use of tools and equipment and safety practices.
- Schedules, coordinates, and provides field supervision of staff involved in maintenance and construction activities of water distribution, water meter reading, water service and meter replacements and installations and utilities customer services.
Projects Planning and Contract Administration:
- Oversees the operation and maintenance of municipal water transmission and distribution in accordance with environmental approvals and regulations.
- Inspects reservoir facilities, pump houses and their associated control and alarm systems, and records readings. Maintains and updates applicable records for all operations.
- Manages water quality including collecting water samples for analysis.
- In cooperation with the Public Works Director, is regularly updated on the status of the various systems and recommend repair and/or replacement strategies for the various systems.
- Assists in the preparation of plans, specifications, administration of contracts for the construction and maintenance of water distribution.
- Prepares work plans for the maintenance of the water distribution.
- Assist in developing product specifications and in maintaining effective working and liaison relationship with purchasing operations.
Utilities Operator Functions:
- Ensure applicable records and documents for all utility operations are maintained and updated. Prepare reports, collect documentation, and research activities as needed.
- Assists in the development of departmental standard operating procedures and emergency response policy and procedures for utility maintenance operations.
- Maintains records and prepares reports.
- Orders construction and maintenance materials and supplies.
In addition to the supervisor responsibilities of the role, this position performs Utility Operator functions including:
Performs a variety of projects and assignments as required
- As necessary, performs crew work including the operation of all types of motorized equipment; may operate equipment during training or emergency situations.
- Installs, removes, repairs, reads and records or calibrates commercial and residential water meters if needed.
- Operates, maintains, and repairs equipment used for utility functions as required.
- Maintains and repair pumping equipment together with the associated starters, electrical fuses and controls related to such equipment.
- Work shifts of standby for after regular hour call outs or emergencies as required.