Utilities – Water and Wastewater Operator – Full Time/ Permanent
Lethbridge County is seeking a certified Water and Wastewater Operator to join our team, consideration will also be given to candidates who have completed a post secondary Water and Wastewater program and have successfully completed a 4-month training practicum.
Lethbridge County offers a great work environment that invests in our people, competitive pay, a full benefit package and enrollment in the LAPP defined benefit pension plan after completion of the probationary period. This position is included in the Local 2800 bargaining unit of CUPE.
Competition #: UT-2019-02
Department: Utility Services
Pay Class: If Certified Level II -Class 5 – CUPE 2800 Contract, $32.61 for the first 6 months, then $34.44
If Certified Level I- Class 4 – CUPE 2800 Contract, $30.14 for the first 6 months, then $31.99
If uncertified- Training Class 4 – CUPE 2800 Contract, $28.64
Reports To: Supervisor of Utility Services and Utilities Foreman
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Assist in the operations, monitoring and recording of all Water and Wastewater systems under Lethbridge County control.
- Assist with the day to day operations of the Lethbridge Regional Waste Management Services Commission. (4 transfer stations and burn pit).
- Movement of the fifth wheel recycling trailers when necessary.
- Respond to utility concerns and water quality complaints from the public in a safe, cordial and respectful manner.
- Assist with buried utility locates as requested through the Alberta One Call System.
- Various other duties or assignments as required and within scope of Utility Services.
- A full copy of the Job Description for a certified level 1 operator is available on the Lethbridge County website under this posting.
- This position will be based out of the Picture Butte Shop. Hours will vary between 8-9 hours/day seasonally, as per the Collective agreement.
- Position is subject to overtime in order to complete tasks in an efficient and timely manner.
- This position is required to be on call approximately 1 week every month, where the operator must be able to respond with in 1 hour.
- Due to the size of Lethbridge County, this position involves multiple hours in a vehicle daily.
- Requirements in this role include entry into small or restricted spaces, and potential use of a respirator.
- Dealing with the public is required and must be done with professionalism and patience.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have already achieved Level I or II certification in Water Treatment, Water Distribution, Wastewater Collection and Wastewater Treatment.
- Secondary consideration will be given to candidates with post-secondary education in Water and Wastewater from an accredited institution, who have completed a 4-month practicum. Other related suitable combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Candidate should have experience in operating water and wastewater facilities, and construction, installation, and repair of water and wastewater mains and service connections.
- Hold a valid Class 5 Drivers License in good standing. A copy of driver’s abstract is mandatory yearly as per County policy.
- On going education and training is required, a minimum of 3.6 CEU’s are needed every three years to keep certificates valid.
- Training Requirements: WHIMIS, TDG training, Confined Space Entry and Rescue, Trenching Safety, First Aid, Defensive Driving, ICS 100 and OHS legislation.
- Candidate must be physically fit (ability to lift 20kgs), accountable to work independently and be a self-starter.
Additional Job Information:
Position Type: Permanent/Full time
Posted Date: Sept 05, 2019
Closing Date: Sept 16, 2019