Reporting to the Executive Director, the Manager is responsible for the operations and delivery of County water, wastewater, storm water, and solid waste and recycling services and programs to ensure full compliance with applicable regulatory approvals. The Manager provides oversight of all operations and contract portfolios related to these services so that a high level of customer service is maintained.
The Manager provides leadership, coordination, collaboration, and direction to ensure that services are provided to staff, residents, and stakeholders in a timely, accurate, effective, and efficient manner and works in conjunction with the Executive Director to develop short and long term strategies for the department.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Management | Leadership
- In coordination with Executive Director of Operations, the Manager will represent the County through participation in various associations, governmental, and public committees, working groups, and boards.
- Responsible for ensuring departmental goals and business plans are aligned with Council strategies.
- Responsible for planning, implementing and monitoring multi-year and annual objectives for the Department. Provide progress updates to Executive Director on those goals and anticipate the resources required to achieve them.
- Serve as spokesperson for communicating and resolving environmental issues.
- Be well informed of everything that goes on in the Department of oversight. This includes management and best use of staff, budgets, corporate assets, and all other corporate resources to raise the Department service levels as well as the County profile.
- Develop, implement, administer, and maintain Department policies and procedures that are aligned with the Rocky View policy framework.
- Direct Department planning, development, and delivery of programs and services, and foster changes and improvements that make these programs and services cost effective and efficient in delivering quality services that support and improve the quality of life of County residents and businesses.
- Attend all related leadership meetings, and the meetings of such boards, committees, authorities, commissions, or other bodies as assigned or deemed necessary.
- Be prepared and submit reports, answer questions, and provide appropriate recommendations regarding the above-mentioned areas.
- Maintain awareness of and adhere to the County's OH&S policies by following responsibilities as outlined in the Health and Safety Manual; comply with all safe work procedures and the OH&S program requirements; monitor and enforce subordinate compliance with the OH&S program.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, team building, conflict resolution, business/technical writing skills, coaching and mentoring abilities in addition to time management, organizational, problem solving and decision making ability.
- Provide regular technical guidance, coaching and mentoring.
- Provide general supervision to the major units either directly or indirectly through the use of subordinates. Has full responsibility for quality of work, budget compliance and planning, methodology, training and development, compensation, performance management, hiring, etc.
- Well-developed communication and interpretation skills, with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Participate in the management of employee relations, provide input on personnel requirements, employee performance feedback, and input on performance reviews.
- Diversified and complex work. Work often focuses upon multiple instructions, objectives and policies in a frequently changing environment. Work typically involves analysis, planning and problem solving within the coordination (not run) of two or more departments.
- Requires decision making derived from broad objectives, instructions and policies. Problems addressed and subsequent decision making are made utilizing factual data and applying fundamental principles.
- Resolve issues expeditiously, and ensure that employee resources are in place and utilized effectively to meet the service delivery standards of the County.
- Manage operational area with an emphasis on efficiency, accuracy, quality and safety to ensure a superior level of customer service.
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, evaluate, and direct the activities of the department, ensuring the fulfillment of project assignments within budget, with quality, and on schedule.
- Set priorities and department workflow, providing each subordinate with achievable goals and resources.
- Identify staffing requirements and initiate and participate in the recruitment process.
- Actively participate during County emergency response situations.
- Provide coverage or be "on call" in instances to ensure non-management Employees do not exceed daily maximum hours as per Employment Standards.
- Participate in all short- and long-term financial planning processes, ensuring continued improvement in all facets of the Department’s financial affairs.
- Ensure effective financial planning and expenditure controls are in place and is accountable for fiscal responsibility, efficiency, and restraint, while maintaining integrity and effectiveness in all aspects of administration for programs and services of responsibility.
- Participates in the preparation of annual budgets for operating and capital programs as well as staffing budgets in accordance with guidance from the Executive Leadership Team pursuant to the Municipal Government Act.
- Monitor and provide updates to the Executive Director on the operating and capital budgets; and in particular report on variances between budgeted and actual expenditures.
Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field along with a minimum ten (10) years of progressively responsible and diversified experience in management of public utilities.
- Demonstrate knowledge of a municipal government organization and maintain a solid knowledge of departmental rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and functions.
- Demonstrate superior customer service skills to both internal and external customers.
- Demonstrated leadership, coaching, mentoring, team building, and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated time management, organizational, problem solving and decision making ability.
- Ability to exercise judgment, initiative and creativity in an increasingly complex environment.
- Contact involves ongoing persuasion, negotiation and accommodation to gain acceptance of activities and/or ideas. Requires skill in internal relationships to enhance operational effectiveness.
- Proficiency in MS Office.
- Ability to communicate on varying levels, and be extremely influential.
Visit the Rocky View County website careers section
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: June 18, 2020
Closing Date: Jul 05, 2020