The County of Forty Mile No. 8 is currently looking for a motivated individual to join our Utilities team. The County of Forty Mile No. 8 offers this challenging and highly rewarding career opportunity to all individuals willing to accept a stimulating career path. The County of Forty Mile No. 8 offers an attractive total compensation package, including competitive salary, benefits, participation in the Local Authorities Pension Plan, in addition to supporting learning and career development opportunities. This full-time, permanent position entails a 40-hour work week, overtime opportunities, and participation in a rotational on call shift system as competency dictates.
The County of Forty Mile No. 8 thanks all applicants in advance for their interest, however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is selected.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Performs operations, maintenance and repair duties for water treatment, water distribution, wastewater treatment and wastewater collection facilities in various locations around the County of Forty Mile No.8.
- Duties included but not limited to:
- Possess/obtain and maintains valid Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) Small Water Systems, Level 1 Water Distribution, Level 1 Wastewater Collection, and Level 1 Wastewater Treatment certification. Working towards Level 1 Certification in these four disciplines, or willing to acquire in an agreed upon time frame.
- Willingness to participate in the County of Forty Mile No. 8’s on call rotation program and overtime opportunities.
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures and ensure systems operate within allowable parameters and testing for each system, as required by AEP and Alberta Health, is performed.
- Assists with weekly bacteriological sampling in all hamlets.
- Performs operations, maintenance, repair and installation work on water treatment, water distribution, wastewater treatment and wastewater collection facilities.
- Monitors and inspects equipment and systems and ensures timely and efficient repairs.
- Diagnose malfunctions in equipment and/ or systems performance; performs tune-ups, preventative maintenance and repairs.
- Obtains samples and submits to a lab for testing.
- Ensures the logging, recording, and reporting of data in accordance with operating procedures and all provincial legislation.
- Maintains assigned tools, equipment, personal protection equipment in clean and good working order, and document repairs and/or deficiencies.
- Participates in training in areas of operations, maintenance, repairs, construction, safety and operation of tools and equipment.
- Communicates with the public, contractors, other agencies and government departments in a professional manner.
- Responds to complaints and queries from utility customers.
- Contacts ‘Before You Dig’ for locates from Utility Companies and locates County owned utilities as required.
- Obtains and maintains certifications in Class 5 Operators License, Standard First Aid, WHMIS, Transportation of Dangerous Goods, Confined Space Entry/Rescue, H2S Alive, and Ground Disturbance and any other training deemed necessary to fulfill duties.
- Operates vehicles in a safe and responsible manner, completes routine checks and maintains reasonable interior and exterior cleanliness.
- Participates in the: - Hazard Assessments – Formulation of Operating Procedures – Preparation of Safe Work Practices - Safe Job Procedures.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required.
Experience and Additional Requirements:
- Grade 12 – Preference will be given to those with trades or post-secondary education in water or wastewater works related fields.
- A successful applicant without full W&WW certification will be required to achieve such within the first 13 months of employment, scheduling permitted. Permanent employment is conditional upon completion of Level 1 certification within the timelines stated above.
Physical Demands and Work Environment included but not limited to:
- Previous or on the job – at a water treatment, water distribution, wastewater treatment, or wastewater collection facility an asset.
- Mechanical, plumbing and electrical aptitude.
- Proficiency working in a computerized environment (SCADA, Windows, MS Office).
- On the job training and certification courses may be provided by the County of Forty Mile No. 8 for a suitable applicant.
- Capable of lifting more than 50 lbs (occasionally up to 100 lbs).
- Effective communications and organizational skills
- Self-motivated, with high energy and an engaging level of enthusiasm
- High level of integrity and work ethic
- Ability to perform requested tasks with minimal direction
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team
Must be fully immunized against workplace pathogens (i.e. Hepatitis, etc.)
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Jan 14, 2022
Closing Date: Feb 14, 2022