UTILITY OPERATOR (TEMPORARY 12 MONTHS)
DEPARTMENT: Infrastructure & Engineering
LOCATION: Grande Cache, Alberta
STATUS: Accepting applications until a suitable candidate is found.
Located in Northwest Alberta, the Municipal District of Greenview is a vast and diverse area rich in oil and gas, fertile farmland, and mixed wood forests. As the third-largest rural municipality in Alberta, Greenview boasts diversity in economic activities and an extraordinary landscape. Greenview’s economy is strengthened by its diversity, a talented workforce and an entrepreneurial spirit that is second to none. Our residents experience adventure right in their backyards with lakes, rivers, Rocky Mountain peaks and vast prairie offering a year-round outdoor playground for all ages.
Key Responsibilities Include:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direction of the Utilities Supervisor and ultimately reporting to the Manager of Environmental Services, the role of the Utility Operator is to plan, organize, operate, and maintain the water treatment plants, water distribution systems, wastewater collection, and wastewater treatment systems of the Municipal District.
- Conduct maintenance and operations of the water & wastewater facilities including daily sampling, testing, flow controls, chemical dosage, bacteriological sampling and accurate recording as per water plant code of practice or approvals
- Conduct maintenance and reporting as required by regulatory authorities.
- On-call required on rotational basis
- Respond to emergency calls and coordinate emergency repairs with qualified contractors.
- Conduct accurate reporting and annual sampling or as required for water and wastewater environmental compliance as per license requirements
- Read and record meter readings for water systems and wastewater systems.
- Submit coin operated water point revenues on a bi-monthly basis as per established protocol.
- Water well monitoring, maintenance, and reporting
- Turn on and off customer services as directed
- Conduct inspections of service connections and complete reporting as required.
- Perform and record first call responses for Greenview utilities
- Utilize Scada System for monitoring water & wastewater systems and alarm response
- Demonstrate ability to read and understand construction and record drawings
- Compile daily, weekly, monthly annual reports and maintain SOP, ERP and DWSP.
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- Grade 12 Diploma
- Post-secondary education or training in water and wastewater treatment preferred
- Preferred that the applicant holds Level I Certification in Water & Wastewater all disciplines; however, previous experience or small systems training will be considered, without certification
- Must possess and maintain a minimum of Class 5 Driver’s License unrestricted
- Safety tickets are an asset and/or will be required within timely manner, if not current.
- Extensive travel may be required
- Other duties as required by the Supervisor or Manager of Environmental Services.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT:
- Must be able to perform duties to a high degree of quality, accuracy, timeliness, and precision
- Effective communication skills and an ability to understand oral and written instructions
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Ability to work accurately with mathematics daily, including percentages, calculating dosages and dilutions
- Above average critical thinking, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to represent the Municipal District professionally at all times with co-workers, management, council members, and the public
- Ability to use common power and hand tools as required
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all matters related to employment
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision
HOW TO APPLY:
- Moderate amounts of physical effort including bending, lifting, and walking
- Extensive periods of sitting and standing
- Safe operation and use of vehicles. Driver’s abstract required annually
- Daily work in an outdoor environment with extreme temperature conditions including heat, cold, dry, moisture, dirt, and dust
- Regular exposure to wildlife, bees, mosquitos, and other insects
- Regular exposure to Confined Spaces and other potentially hazardous environments.
- Regular exposure to working in elevated areas
- Subject to potential cuts, scrapes, falls, burns, and blows
- Subject to working around hazards that are consistent with working on or alongside highways.
- Normal workday consists of 7.5 at various shifts throughout the 24-hour day
- Occasional paid overtime may be required
- On-call as assigned
Interested candidates may submit cover letter (stating the position you are applying for)
in one of the following ways:
E-mail: email@example.com (please quote the position in the subject line)
Mail or Drop Off: Municipal District of Greenview No. 16
4806 – 36 Ave., Box 1079
Valleyview, Alberta T0H 3N0
Confidential Fax: 780-524-3981
While we truly appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Jul 14, 2022
Closing Date: Aug 31, 2022