Key Responsibilities Include:
• Coordinate and participate in the recruitment of new and seasonal staff.
• Review and direct the activities of direct reports.
• Assign daily work tasks for staff and conduct follow up inspections to ensure task completion and task quality control.
• Establish professional development plans for staff.
• Provide on-going job performance feedback, mentoring, and coaching.
• Attend, participate, and lead staff meetings.
• Review and approve time reports of direct reports.
• Monitor field activities for applicable legislative compliance (ie. OHS, Water Act, Migratory Bird Act).
• Recommend personnel actions to the Drainage Operations Supervisors, in accordance with the HR policies.
Plan and Monitor Day to Day Work:• Prepare a monthly activities plan.
• Prepare a weekly progress report of activities.
• Monitor and evaluate equipment, materials and operator requirements.
• Coordinate with utility owners and landowners for approvals pertaining to projects.
• Report on performance measures.
• Ensure equipment is used in an efficient and effective manner.
• Ensure staff and contractors are competent (adequality qualified, suitably trained, and has sufficient experience) prior to work being carried out.
• Ensure time and record keeping is accurate.
• Answer emergency calls to correct dangerous road conditions.
• Conduct field inspections.
• Participate in the “On Call” program.
• Order necessary materials and equipment for assignments.
• Coordinate with other Transportation Supervisors in the effective use of County resources.
• Coordinate contractor services to aid in operational requirements.
• Make small purchases and participate in financial approval process.
Client Service/Public Relations:
• Facilitate public engagement with respect to the Transportation operations and projects.
• Navigate Sturgeon County’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) System.
• Respond to CRM initiated information request and service requests.
• Handle public inquires and complaints with respect to activities supervised by the incumbent.
• Participate in project budgeting.
• Participate in the planning for current and future maintenance of the County’s roads (paved or gravel) and assets (bridges, drainage ditches and signs).
• Participate in design reviews.
• Develop and implement preventative maintenance programs.
• Assist in the preparation of the department’s business plan.
• Assist in the planning, developing and reviewing of operating and capital budgets (including equipment).
• Monitor material/labor utilization and budget expenditures and report variances.
• Work in collaboration with other departments on County initiatives and project as required.
• Required to interact with County employees, citizens, contractors in an appropriate manner as guided by Sturgeon County Values.
• Adhere to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the Sturgeon County Health and Safety Management System.
To be successful the incumbent must have leadership and management skills which include: excellent public relations, written and verbal communication skills; experience in personnel management; ability to make recommendations and decisions; negotiation skills; strong critical analysis and critical thinking skills; technical knowledge of rural municipal drainage design; a general knowledge of applicable legislation to municipal systems and water management; knowledge of budgeting and monitoring expenditures to ensure compliance to the budget; ability to plan, organize and supervise maintenance programs in a timely and efficient manner. Must have good computer skills. Physical job requirements include: occasional lifting 15kg, and extended periods of sitting while operating vehicle.
• High school diploma.
• 5 years’ operating equipment in a municipal setting.
• Alberta Public Works Association Level 2 Public Works Supervisor Program.
• 5 years’ supervisory experience.
• Experience in a technical municipal public works setting
• Technical background in road construction and materials.
• Technical background in survey and blueprint reading.
• Valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
• Defensive Driving.
• Ground Disturbance Safety Training Level 2 – For Supervisors.
• Standard First Aid with CPR.
• Safety training in the following areas: Pre-trip Inspection, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), Fire Extinguisher, Overhead Powerline, Alcohol and Drug Awareness Supervisors, Customer Service.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: $ 84,493.00 - $ 111,186.00 per annum
Position Type: Permanent Full Time
Posted Date: Mar 17, 2022
Closing Date: Mar 28, 2022
Job ID: J0322-0997