This full time, regular salaried position is responsible for providing enforcement activities for the Special Areas Board and contracted municipalities. Reporting to the Director of Municipal Services or designate, your primary responsibilities will be the protection of infrastructure and persons within Special Areas parks as well as the protection of municipal roadway infrastructure through traffic patrols, commercial vehicle inspections, and coordination with RoadData permitting services. The Community Peace Officer, through observation and complaints, will assist in investigation and enforcement of various provincial statutes plus regulatory municipal policies/orders for the Special Areas Board.
Key Responsibilities Include:
• Under supervision deliver enforcement services for the Special Areas Board, including liaison with other enforcement agencies as required and be responsive to various Board initiatives.
• Provide protection of infrastructure and persons within Special Areas parks - including foot patrol, boat patrol, etc.
• When required, participate in investigations relating to public inquiries, complaints, and concerns.
• Attend Court when necessary or as requested and ensure evidence and Court procedures are conducted to a professional standard.
• Maintain and control exhibits and lost and found items; maintain appropriate records and ensure that items are disposed of properly when required.
• Educate the public with respect to municipal policies and provincial statutes to improve compliance
• Post-secondary education in a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Must possess, or be eligible for, an appointment as a Level One (1) Community Peace Officer from Alberta Justice and Solicitor General.
• A minimum of three (3) years’ experience as a Peace Officer, preferably with knowledge and experience enforcing municipal bylaws and patrol enforcement in parks and campgrounds.
• In depth knowledge of applicable Provincial Statues; experience with Report Exec, ROADS, CAMS, etc.
• Current and Approved Certifications in Defensive Baton, Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) Spray and Shotgun
• Strong conflict resolution skills, public relations, time management and interpersonal communication skills are essential; ability to work independently on confidential and complex issues is key.
• Experience in conducting commercial vehicle inspection and enforcement, along with moving violation enforcement will be an asset.
• Class 5 Driver’s License is required: successful completion of a Driver’s Abstract.
• Valid PARE test within previous 6 months (4 min 45 seconds).
• No Criminal Record and must be able to work shift work and be on call; ability to work in and outdoors in all weather conditions.
Please send application or resume with cover letter to:
Human Resource Services, Special Areas Board
Box 820, Hanna, AB T0J 1P0
Fax (403) 854-5527 Email: SpecialAreasHR@specialareas.ab.ca Website: www.specialareas.ab.ca
This is a designated safety sensitive position and mandatory pre-employment testing will be conducted on all newly hired employees. Special Areas is committed to an inclusive and supportive work environment, offering career development and training opportunities. Additional information may be directed to Human Resources 403-854-5604.
We thank all applicants; however only those invited for an interview will be contacted.
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Nov 22, 2021
Closing Date: Dec 03, 2021