We are seeking a highly motivated person to join our safety-oriented team as a Transport Officer – Community Peace Officer Level 1. This position is highly visible in the Special Areas with a strong focus on building relationships based on mutual respect with our community and residents is key to success. An education first approach to enforcement is encouraged, including positive interactions with stakeholders, anchoring enforcement priorities in public safety initiatives for the Special Areas. The right candidate will be an effective communicator who enjoys a fast paced, safe and efficient, highly visible work environment. Positive role modeling for internal and external stakeholders and providing authentic leadership will be important to success in this role.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Key Duties will include:
• Under supervision of the Sr. Peace Officer, deliver enforcement services for the Special Areas Board, including liaison with other enforcement agencies as required and be responsive to various Board initiatives.
• Protect infrastructure and persons within Special Areas parks - including foot patrol, boat patrol, etc.
• When required, participate in investigations relating to public inquiries, complaints, and concerns.
• Attend Court when necessary and ensure evidence and Court procedures are conducted to a professional standard.
• Educate the public with respect to municipal policies and provincial statutes to improve compliance.
• Post-secondary education in a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Must possess, or be eligible for, an appointment as a Level One (1) Community Peace Officer from Alberta Justice and Solicitor General.
• A minimum of three (3) years’ experience as a Peace Officer, preferably with knowledge and experience enforcing municipal bylaws and patrol enforcement in parks and campgrounds.
• In depth knowledge of applicable Provincial Statues; experience with Report Exec, ROADS, CAMS, etc.
• Current and Approved Certifications in Defensive Baton, Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) Spray and shotgun use
• Strong conflict resolution skills, public relations, time management and interpersonal communication skills are essential; ability to work independently on confidential and complex issues is key.
• Experience in conducting commercial vehicle inspection and enforcement, along with moving violation enforcement will be an asset.
• Class 5 Driver’s License is required: successful completion of a Driver’s Abstract.
• Valid PARE test within previous 6 months (4 min 45 seconds).
• No Criminal Record and must be able to work shift work and be on call; ability to work in and outdoors in all weather conditions.
• This is a designated safety sensitive position and mandatory pre-employment drug testing will be required on all newly hired employees
• Special Areas is committed to an inclusive and supportive work environment, offering career development and training opportunities
• Please include a contact email address on application or resume
Please send application or resume with cover letter to:
Human Resource Services, Special Areas Board
Box 820, Hanna, AB T0J 1P0
Fax (403) 854-5527 Email: SpecialAreasHR@specialareas.ab.ca Website: www.specialareas.ab.ca
Additional information may be directed to Human Resources 403-854-5604.
We thank all applicants; however only those invited for an interview will be contacted.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: • 2023 Annual Salary at $63,836 - $83,689 depending upon experience and education
Posted Date: Nov 22, 2021
Closing Date: Jan 27, 2023