Rocky View County is committed to providing our employees a respectful and stable work environment, unique benefits that promote work/life balance, and opportunities for professional learning and personal growth. We seek individuals who thrive on challenge and will contribute their positive energy, innovation, and service mindset to making a difference and contributing meaningfully to the vibrant community of 40,000 people who call Rocky View County home.
Reporting to the Lead Tax Representative and overseen by the Supervisor, Budget and Reporting, the Tax Representative's responsibilities include the maintenance of accurate account details of all property tax accounts, billing, collecting, reconciling and posting of property tax invoices and service fees. They interpret and apply tax recovery procedures and provide a wide variety of administrative support within taxation. The Tax Representative provides excellent front-line customer service in person, by telephone and through written correspondence in response to all inquiries. This position is also responsible for the processing of a high intensity of cash flow and must possess the ability to work in a team environment.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Evaluate and interpret the needs of customers and investigate and prepare appropriate responses to matters of concern, correcting all errors identified by the bank.
- Accept, process and apply all incoming payments.
- Provide quality control and integrity in the process of property tax collection in accordance with provincial legislation and municipal bylaws.
- Coordinate and oversee the preparation and distribution of tax notices, penalty adjustments, brochures, etc. within legislated guidelines.
- Provide accurate information according to provincial legislation and County bylaws to ratepayers as to the procedures involved in submitting late tax payment penalty requests.
- Review, sort and process all new applications for the Tax Instalment Payment Plan (TIPP).
- Accurately update assessment changes (305, ARB, MGB) and property tax accounts ensuring the integrity of the tax roll.
- Administer, adjust and maintain online property tax accounts, including return of payments.
- Process, approve and issue accurate Legal Descriptions, Ownership Searches and Civic Addresses.
- Maintain records of new well and compressor sites, drilling activities, and closed/abandoned well sites.
- Prepare invoicing requests and issue written correspondence for collection.
- Research land titles and write letters to all corresponding owners and encumbrances.
- Process tax arrears list for land titles, discharges of tax notifications and tax recovery public auction sales.
- Interpret and maintain school support boundaries by confirming School Support for electors.
- Process titles, maps and historical data sheets for data entry in the tax systems.
- Maintain month-end and year-end reconciliations to the sub-ledger and general ledger.
- Lead by example, by providing superior customer service as well as following and promoting industry best practices and County values and objectives.
- Perform other administrative duties and special projects as assigned
Completion of a high school diploma and some specialized training in a related field along with a minimum 1 year of related progressively responsible and diversified experience.
- Possess highly effective interpersonal, communication and customer service skills.
- Strong mathematical skills with good attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills and able to demonstrate sound judgment and decision making.
- Reliable and accurate cash management utilizing good accounting procedures.
- Ability to accurately interpret Government legislation and regulations as well as Municipal Bylaws relating to taxation and assessment.
- Ability to quickly move from one assignment to another and the ability to withstand continuous interruptions.
- Familiarity with Alberta’s legal survey system and the interpretation of maps and documentation relating to Land Titles.
- Possess a high degree of stress tolerance.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with basic computer functions (log on, check emails, open and save documents in MS Office Suite) as well as basic keyboarding skills.
- Must be bondable. A criminal record check will be required due to the nature of the position.
- Familiarity with municipal government organizations.
Interested applicants are invited to apply direct to https://www.rockyview.ca/careers.
Applications are due by 10 pm MST on the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however
only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: Base: $51,404 /year
Position Type: permanent full-time
Posted Date: Jan 12, 2022
Closing Date: Mar 20, 2022
Job ID: J0122-0174