Supervisor, Payroll and Benefits
Temporary, full-time – 35 hours per week
(1 Year with possibility of extension)
$81,863.60 - $102,302.20/ annum
At the City of Leduc, our mission is People. Building. Community. We offer a collaborative and dynamic workplace where our values of Teamwork, Service, Respect and Leadership guide our conduct and contribute to a healthy culture. If you would like to work as part of a progressive organization and enjoy a fast-paced environment, then this may be the opportunity for you.
We are currently recruiting for a temporary, full-time Supervisor, Payroll & Benefits.
About the Opportunity:
The Supervisor – Payroll and Benefits is an integral part of the human resources team, responsible for the day-to-day operations and activities related to payroll and benefits for the City. This position oversees and monitors the full-cycle payroll processing activities of the payroll staff and maintain the benefit and pension administration, for all City of Leduc employee groups including management, unionized staff and exempt employees as well as City Council and some third-party entities. This position reports to the Manager, Total Rewards and HR Systems.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Payroll management: overseeing bi-weekly payroll processing, including troubleshooting and resolving customer and software concerns and issues, and auditing all entries prior to final submission and remittances
- Overseeing the monitoring of leave banks such as vacation, sick, etc., including annual leave entitlement loads, flushes and ongoing monitoring/reporting throughout the year
- Pension and benefits administration: maintain and reconcile the benefits and pension programs on a monthly basis.
- Policy, compliance and reporting responsibilities: liaise with government agencies, unions, internal departments, vendors and auditors, and regular reporting as required; ensure payroll and benefit policies and procedures are compliant with legislation and relevant Collective Agreements and City Policies; carry out policy interpretation, review and development, as required
- Supervise and guide the payroll staff to ensure complete and accurate payroll processing.
You are the successful candidate for this position if you have the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, or related field
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) and Certified Payroll Manager (CPM) certifications through Canadian Payroll Association
- Designation in benefits administration, preferably a Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS) is an asset
- 5 Years progressive payroll, benefits and pension experience supervising full-cycle payroll operations for a unionized employer
- Must have a thorough understanding of payroll practices, benefits and pension administration and related systems; experience with public sector pension plans and group benefits would be an asset
- Experience in Great Plains (Canadian Payroll) is an asset and use of integrated payroll, HRIS and finance systems
- Knowledge of and experience with accounting procedures, payroll legislation (CRA) and Employment Standards
- Advanced skills in MS Office and Excel
- Excellent independent organizational and time-management skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritize workload efficiently to respond to tight timelines
- Attention to detail and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive information
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal, to enable team work and promote positive internal/external customer service
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP) and experience working in Municipal government experience would be an asset
- Must be willing to provide a current Criminal Records Check at own expense
- Must be fully immunized against COVID-19 and be willing to provide proof of immunization as part of the recruitment process
If this sounds like you, we want to hear from you! To apply, please visit our website at: www.leduc.ca/careers
Competition closes at 10:00 pm (MT) on January 3, 2022, or until a suitable candidate is found. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same or lower classification level. Due to the high volume of resumes received, we are not able to respond to individual phone calls. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Nov 16, 2021
Closing Date: Jan 03, 2022