Reporting to the Executive Director of Corporate Services, the Strategic and Corporate Planning Manager demonstrates and draws on expertise acquired from extensive, varied, and progressively responsible experience to support the organization in the development of the corporate business plan, and to facilitate the development of department business plans. The Strategic and Corporate Planning Manager will assist the Executive Leadership Team (ELT) to report on the overall achievement of the Strategic Plan.
This individual is accountable to manage a wide range of duties and will work independently and in teams as the situation dictates to assist the ELT with planning, organization, and performance management of corporate projects: this includes facilitating, monitoring and scheduling work, budgets, and expenditures; organizing and participating in stakeholder meetings; and ensuring that corporate business plan initiatives and project deadlines are met in a timely manner.
The Manager is responsible for collaborating and coordinating with all levels of County management to ensure corporate strategies and key corporate projects and initiatives are in place to implement the Council Strategic Goals in a measured manner with clear outcomes that reflect the corporate business plan.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Facilitate the translation from Strategic Goals to Corporate Business Plan.
- Provide strategic advice to the Executive Leadership Team (ELT).
- Guide the development of key performance indicators in order to monitor progress of projects that implement the Corporate Business Plan.
- Collaborate, facilitate, research and track internally.
- Facilitate best practices.
- Development and management of project plans as directed by the Corporate Business Plan.
- Assist County Management with advice and guidance to build departmental business plans.
- Review strategic, corporate and departmental business plans regularly to ensure that tasks and milestones are being achieved in a timely manner, and that preparation of governance reports, project status reports, presentations, agendas etc. are completed.
- Undertake detailed data collection and analysis to inform Corporate decision-making.
- Take an active part in the project issue/risk management process by contributing to the identification and prioritization of existing and potential issues and risks, and by helping to develop strategies and controls to mitigate these. Use sound judgement to identify which issues and risks should be escalated to the ELT, and prepare relevant reports/documentation.
- Check project compliance with Council Policy and administrative procedures, and highlight any issues to ELT.
- Provide professional advice and guidance during the implementation of initiatives and projects.
- Provide a skilled facilitation service to support the projects or any teams assembled to assist in achieving expectations. This means employing effective organizational and administrative processes, together with knowledge and/or experience of project management practices, to facilitate the successful achievement of the project objectives.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with a wide range of employees and stakeholders including elected officials, project sponsors, executive and senior managers, stakeholders/customers, other project team members and managers, and external agencies and vendors.
- Help build project management capability within the County through collaboration, leadership support, coaching, and mentoring others and generally encouraging the appropriate use of project management techniques by others.
- Supervise contractors and staff as assigned.
- Work in accordance with the requirements established by the RVC Health and Safety Program and the Alberta OHS Act, Regulation and Code.
- Take reasonable care to protect their health and safety and other persons at or in the vicinity of the worksite while they are working.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned in support of the Executive Director of Corporate Services as required by the position or as assigned.
- Undertake personal development to maintain a leading-edge knowledge of analysis techniques and external trends in related environments.
Completion of a Bachelor degree in Business Administration, and a minimum of ten (10) years in municipal administration (combination of equivalencies may be considered). Training or a degree in Strategic Planning or equivalent is considered an asset. The Manager will:
- possess positive public relation skills and have exceptional oral/verbal, written, and presentation skills;
- possess a strong ability for attention to detail, accuracy, timing, and scheduling of work for this position, with the ability to meet demanding deadlines;
- possess a strong analytical focus;
- be able to work effectively both independently and as part of a team;
- maintain knowledge and experience working with the principles and methods of strategic planning, program evaluation, performance measurement, and results reporting;
- have knowledge and experience with file management, transcription, and other administrative procedures;
- have proven ability to work on tight deadlines;
- possess superior organizational skills;
- be proficient in MS Office suite; and
- maintain a valid Alberta driver's license and have access to reliable transportation.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: $99,617 - $117,050
Position Type: Permanent Full-time
Posted Date: Mar 17, 2021
Closing Date: Apr 12, 2021