The Town of Morinville is a vibrant, growing community located in the Edmonton Metro region. With a resident population of approximately 10,500, Morinville has a healthy business and residential community that offers an excellent quality of life in a smaller urban setting.
We are currently seeking a full-time Senior Planner & Strategist to join our Planning & Economic Development team. The Senior Planner & Strategist collaboratively works in the Planning & Economic Development team within the regulatory environment using an economic lens to enhance Morinville’s investment value proposition. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Planning & Economic Development, the Senior Planner & Strategist is responsible for providing development facilitation expertise to the Town, the development industry, business, regional partners, Council and to the general public. The Senior Planner & Strategist will facilitate economic and land use planning activities that is consistent with the strategic goals and policies of the Town of Morinville, including the Economic Development Action Plan.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Development of strategic initiatives to develop and increase Morinville’s investment value proposition and reputation.
- Responsible for all current and long range planning activities for the Town.
- Leads the Town’s approach and facilitates the decision-making related to long-range planning principles.
- Examine and recommend Red Tape Reduction strategies to encourage new investments.
- Review Land Use Bylaw and provide recommendations for updates based on evolving approaches to Land Development and zoning.
- Negotiate, prepare, and interpret development agreements associated with land use and subdivision applications.
- Identify barriers to new development and make recommendations for efficiency and improvement.
- Facilitate pre-development meetings, complex projects, grant applications, and strategic initiatives with planning awareness.
- Town’s representative on the Edmonton Metro Regional Board (EMRB).
- Research and report on inter-governmental local and regional land use and planning items.
- Exercise discretion, diplomacy, empathy and tact in daily work and present a professional image to developers, investors, and the general public.
- Post-Secondary Degree in Land Use Planning, Urban or Regional Planning, or a related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of working experience in regulatory land use planning is required.
- Registered Professional Planner (RPP) Designation (or actively working toward) is required.
- Eligibility for a Professional Planner Membership with Alberta Professional Planners Institute (APPI) is required.
- Additional education in economic development is considered an asset.
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Working knowledge of the Municipal Government Act and statutory plans, Municipal Development Plan, Land Use Bylaw, Municipal Sustainability Plan, and understanding other municipal policies like: Area Structure Plans.
- Ability to interpret architectural drawings, site plans, and subdivision applications.
- Strong strategic awareness and political acumen.
Name: Please submit applications quoting “COMP #202145-DP” to:
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: Annual salary range of $84,234 — $100,580 (7 Step Grid), based on 35 hours per week. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including Pension, professional development opportunities and a supportive work environment.
Posted Date: Sept 01, 2021
Closing Date: Sept 13, 2021