We are looking for a Senior Communications Officer who can write, plan, and manage multiple projects. The ideal candidate is hard-working, kind, and an innovative communications generalist with experience or the desire for experience in the municipal government or non-profit sector. In this role, you will work on both strategies and tactics, probably even on the same day. Most of the work will be able to be done remotely but the ability to come to Sturgeon County somewhat regularly is a definite advantage.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Consult and collaborate across with all levels of the organization to develop communications strategies and responses to both internal and external matters, including reputation, and sensitive and confidential issues.
- Implement and coordinate a variety of integrated brand-aligned external communications initiatives across current and emerging platforms, including print, digital signage, social media, and web content.
- Activities include the production and delivery of a high volume of communications projects and initiatives including briefings, speaking notes, website content, e-newsletters, news releases, social media, speeches, and presentations.
- Monitors media and coordinates responses to media inquiries for information and interviews, and assists, as needed, the appropriate spokesperson to develop key messaging for interviews.
- Coordinate marketing and communications tactics for county events and projects.
- Undertakes a primary role in media and public relations during emergencies, coordinating clear, effective and timely communications, providing direction and advice on crisis communications and serving as Public Information Officer as required.
- Attends Council and management meetings as required to keep well-informed of issues that may have communications-related implications.
- Providing advice and executive briefings to support Council, Leadership team and other internal stakeholders in proactively identifying and mitigating issues.
- Adhere to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the Sturgeon County Health and Safety Management System.
- Post-secondary education in Communications or Public Relations supplemented by eight years of related experience.
- A keen interest in working within a Municipal Government setting.
- Extensive knowledge of best practices as they relate to strategic corporate communications, issues management, marketing and media relations.
- Skilled and experienced writer with strong interpersonal and communication skills and a very detail-oriented work style.
- Exceptional organization skills and capable of working under pressure in a busy environment.
- Ability to interact effectively, courteously and professionally with the public, media contacts, other municipal staff and contribute to a positive teamwork environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain co-operative and constructive relationships at all levels of the organization and representatives of external agencies.
- Proficient skills in Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft and Social Media tools.
- The ability to demonstrate excellence and integrity at all times.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: $83,863 - $110,358 per annum
Position Type: Permanent
Posted Date: Aug 14, 2020
Closing Date: Aug 28, 2020
Job ID: 52-2020