The County of Grande Prairie builds on its natural environment and the entrepreneurial spirit of its citizens to provide an unmatched quality of life and opportunity for all. We offer a collaborative and dynamic workplace where our values of Trustworthy, Transparent, Respectful, and Collaborative guide our conduct and contribute to a healthy culture.
Creative, strategic, and committed to excellence? If that's you, read on. As a Senior Communications Advisor, you'll work with employees, community members, stakeholders, and elected officials. You'll build and implement strategic communication plans. You'll use a variety of creative tools to implement these plans. You'll make a difference in the County of Grande Prairie. Join our team and start making that difference today.
The Communications department works to protect and enhance the County's reputation while advancing its strategic and operational policies, programs, services, and initiatives. The team coordinates and provides corporate communication services for the organization. This includes communications planning, external and internal communications implementation, media relations, stakeholder relations, marketing, issues management, crisis communication, brand management, and new and digital media. The department also provides communications support to County Council. The Communications department is part of the Corporate Services Division.
Under the direction of the Communications Manager, this senior communications position provides strategic advice on complex and longer-term communications issues, projects, and initiatives. In other words, no two days are ever the same.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Primary responsibilities include:
- Develop, implement, and evaluate integrated strategic communications and public consultation plans that effectively support corporate business plans, anticipate, and manage change, and generate understanding about politically and organizationally sensitive initiatives.
- Produce tactics that effectively execute communications and public consultation plans. Develop and write corporate messages on complex corporate issues, including confidential or sensitive matters.
- Recommend and implement strategic and tactical communications approaches to Senior Leadership and Council when the County is faced with potential or real issues. Participate in the integrated approach to crisis communications.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with the media through proactive and reactive media relations. Staff and Council spokespeople are coached to communicate organizational key messages and anticipate and respond to public concerns.
- Provide sound communications support, leadership and expertise to departments and stakeholders while managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Provide day-to-day direction and coaching of other Communications department staff. Relationships inside and outside the organization are respectful and productive.
- Display accountability through recommending and working within approved budgets, identifying issues and solutions, understanding client needs and reporting progress on outcomes.
What you bring:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in communications, journalism, or a related field, plus five years of progressively more complex communications experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Experience in a municipal government environment considered an asset.
- Membership with IABC or CPRS considered an asset
- Record of significant accomplishments in developing and managing effective high impact communications plans and resulting implementation considered an asset.
- Advanced ability to write and edit communications plans and materials targeted at different audiences (e.g., senior management, employees).
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver professional presentations
- Creative, critical, and strategic thinking
- A great sense of humour
Applicants with lesser experience and qualifications may be considered.
This position full-time, 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Please note that once your application is complete, you will receive a confirmation email. If we require any additional information we will contact you. We thank everyone for their application, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Due to the volume of applications received we can only answer questions at the interview stage.
Please apply online here
The County of Grande Prairie recognizes and values the principles of fair hiring practices. We are committed to a respectful and inclusive workplace and welcome applications from all qualified individuals. Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact email@example.com and we will work with you to meet your needs.
- This posting may be used for future vacancies or to fill more than one position
- This posting may be open until a suitable candidate(s) is/are found.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: $48.64-57.22 per hour (2023 rates)
Position Type: Permanent Full-time
Posted Date: Dec 20, 2021
Closing Date: Jan 27, 2023
Job ID: HR-2022-0111