As part of Sturgeon County's Financial Services team this position is responsible for the project management of the annual year end audit and development of the property tax bylaw. Additionally, this role provides fiscal oversight, reconciliations, financial reporting, accounting, and budget services as required. This position also involves management of the operational supervisors and mentorship to members of the Financial Services team.
Position closes August 20, 2020
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Recommend, implement, and maintain the appropriate ledger and accounting structure that supports reporting and management.
- Oversee internal control structure to ensure risk is mitigated to an acceptable level within operational level positions and those who approval authority. Update and establish effective documentation in the form of policies and/or procedures that outline effective controls.
- Supervision of Operations Supervisor by monitoring performance, providing necessary training, and regular feedback for continuous development of the operations team.
- Provide mentorship and feedback to Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and Taxation Coordinator positions in alignment with operational processing needs, financial reporting, and financial controls.
- Responsible for monitoring and reconciling bank accounts, short, and long-term investments.
- Responsible for planning, coordinating, executing, monitoring, and controlling the Tax Rate Bylaw development process in conjunction with user groups such as Financial Services, managers, leadership, and council.
- Responsible for property tax revenue projections to use in developing the annual budget.
- Responsible for the Taxation & Revenue Budget development, monitoring, and reporting.
- Oversee the annual and supplemental Taxation Notice and Property Assessment mailouts.
- Review the Provincial Education Requisition Credit Application and the Designated Industrial Education Requisition Credit Application
- Oversee and assist, as required, with the Titled Property Tax Collection Process
- Oversee and assist, as required, with the Taxes not related to land Property Tax Collection Process
- Responsible for planning, coordinating, executing, monitoring, and controlling the Financial Year End in conjunction with user groups such as Financial Services, managers, leadership, and council.
- Complete monthly reconciliations by ensuring alignment to accounting standards with clearly detailed instructions for use, indexed working papers, and relative supporting documentation forming part of the monthly package.
- Develop annual close calendar for monthly processes and review close results against process and procedures for accuracy, consistency, and timeliness.
- Coordinate, prepare and submit the Annual Financial Statements, Annual Financial Report, Financial Information Return, and Statistical Information Return in accordance with Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAS) and the Municipal Government Act (MGA).
- Create, maintain, and adhere to Financial Policies in accordance with legislative requirements.
- Complete special projects as assigned by the Controller/Manager of Financial Services.
- Adhere to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the Sturgeon County Health and Safety Management System.
- Responsible for supporting the County’s Records and Information Management Program through the maintenance, control, and disposition of the records for the department.
Please submit your application by email quoting the competition number in the subject line to: email@example.com
- Bachelor’s degree and a CPA, CMA, CGA or CA designation with a minimum of 5 years of relevant accounting and supervisory experience.
- Local government accounting experience is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of Public Sector Accounting Standards and auditing as well as strong accounting skills.
- Proficient using Diamond Microsoft Great Plains Software, CaseWare, and CaseWare Connector is considered an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Strong mathematic skills with a keen attention to detail with figures.
- Must have excellent leadership, interpersonal and public relation problem solving skills.
- Ability to deal with confidential information with a high degree of diplomacy.
- Ability to take initiative and be resourceful while working under pressure and within restricted timelines.
- Excellent computer skills and the ability to learn new technology.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Sturgeon County is an equal opportunity employer.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: $92,272 - $121,422 per annum
Position Type: Temporary Full Time (12-18 Months)
Posted Date: Aug 05, 2020
Closing Date: Aug 20, 2020
Job ID: 48-2020