The losses you handle will usually be first party losses but will include some investigation and work with third parties as well.
For larger or complex losses, you will work with the in-house examining team or provincial lead and liaise with inside and outside legal counsel for litigated claims.
The Claims Adjuster will have access to highly confidential member and association information, and it is expected and required information be held in the strictest confidence.
- Field claims adjusting experience, including property
- Has experience reading and interpreting policy wordings
- Be detail orientated to ensure claims are investigated thoroughly and settled fairly
- Ensure claimants and member clients are treated with courtesy and respect throughout the claims settlement process
- Performing investigation, evaluation, negotiation, and disposition of various types of claims, primarily of a first party nature. Successful accomplishment requires sound investigative strategies and excellent client care skills as the direct contact point for many of our insureds
- Appointing, controlling, and directing external service providers including task adjusters and other experts
- Handle your own file pending and assist Examiners as task adjuster in adjustment of claim files
- Meet and negotiate with members and give direction to experts in various fields depending on the needs of the situation
- Assist in claim inquiries and ensure all claims are promptly investigated
- Ensure coordinated and timely investigation through communication with third party adjusters, and outside experts
- Review and interpret property and liability policy wordings, acts, regulations and legislation in order to confirm coverage
- Set reserves and authorize payment within scope of authority and settle claims in the most cost effective and timely manner possible
- Control indemnity and expenses through proactive claims handling techniques, including the pursuit of subrogation where applicable
- Ensure all claims negotiations are conducted with integrity and that settlements are accurate and fair
- Attend training as necessary to ensure skills evolve with changes in the industry
- Assist the Claims Manager as necessary
- Assist Risk Management team – task assignments for building inspections and provide recommendations to the risk team.
- Participate in Association activities and events as required by the Directors and/or the Board
- Enthusiastically support change, share experiences, and actively seek new challenges
- Meets regularly with department colleagues to discuss claims operations, and offers ideas to improve processes and procedures as required
- Independent and reliable - is able to work with minimal supervision. Is self-motivated and self-directed.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the Municipal Government Act and the defences available for liability
- Be adaptable to learning new skill sets utilized in risk management.