As a member of the Emergency Services Department of Athabasca County, under the direction of the Director of Emergency Services, the Regional Fire Services Coordinator is responsible for responsible for the volunteer fire departments within the County and provides administrative support to the Town of Athabasca, Village of Boyle, and Baptiste fire departments.
Key Responsibilities Include:
• Work closely with the district fire chiefs; provide liaison between the Director of
Agriculture & Emergency Services and Council on matters relating to fire protective
• Develop, recommend, and implement plans, programs, standard operating guidelines,
and policies to ensure compliance with Occupational Health and Safety.
• Provide recommendations for annual and long-range operational and capital budgets for
the fire departments.
• Maintain an inventory tracking system of fire equipment and supplies with complete
testing criteria and critical response dates for equipment upgrades.
• Manage the recruiting, training, and development of fire department members with
participation of the Fire Chiefs and volunteers.
• Provide basic investigation services for all property loss fires that occur in the County.
Collect, review, and submit fire and insurance reports to the Statistics Unit of The Alberta
Emergency Management Agency and facilitate the cost recovery billings and insurance
claims on behalf of the district fire departments.
• Develop fire prevention programs for the public, schools, businesses, volunteer groups,
including preparation of public information materials relating to safety and fire
The successful candidate will possess the NFPA 1001 – Professional Fire Fighter certification as well as NFPA 1041 – Professional Fire Service Instructor certification. Ideally candidates will also possess NFPA 1031, 1021, and 1033. Experience conducting investigations, inspections, and pre-planning would be an asset.
You will find a detailed job description on the Athabasca County website under Career Opportunities at www.athabascacounty.com or please contact Kelli Chamberlain (780) 675-2273 at the County Administration Office for further information.
The current salary for this position is $77,226 - $90,343. Athabasca County offers an attractive benefit package and contributes to the Local Authorities Pension Plan.
The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.