Little-known, yet remarkable, the Lakeland is so much more than lakes and prairies. It is home to vibrant cultural communities and offers some of the best outdoor recreation in western Canada. Experience a better work/life balance and lower cost of living in rural Alberta!
The Regional Director of OH&S is responsible for providing a safe and incident free workplace by collaboratively leading the Regional Safety Management System (RSMS) with 4 regional municipalities: the County of St. Paul, the Town of St. Paul, the Town of Elk Point and the Summer Village of Horseshoe Bay.
The role will collaborate with management throughout the region to facilitate a positive health and safety culture through local ownership of the health and safety plan.
The ideal candidate has a solid understanding of industrial environments and their business operations and an ability to systematically assess risk and implement safety programs and policies. High attention to detail and organization, excellent communication skills and a positive “can do” attitude enable this individual to consistently deliver quality work.
We offer an excellent compensation, benefits and pension package as well as ongoing professional training opportunities for the successful candidate.
Competition Deadline and Additional Details
Forward your cover letter, resume, and references by June 24, 2022, to the attention of Sheila Kitz, CAO, The County of St. Paul. (OH&S)
Please note, the successful candidate will be required to complete a criminal record check and provide a clear driver’s abstract.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however only those applicants that have been chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Mail County of St. Paul, 5015 49 Ave, St. Paul, Alberta T0A 3A4
Key Responsibilities Include:
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), County of St Paul, the Regional Director of OH&S:
- works collaboratively with the regional leadership teams, their staff, and the Health and Safety Committee (HSC) to proactively address OH&S related issues by monitoring worksite conditions, behaviours, areas of risk, and develop policies, procedures, and processes to address legislative requirements and areas of risk.
- builds the supervisory and managerial capacity within each municipality to improve local responses to OH&S related issues by coaching and mentoring for the required behaviours and mindset to enhance the strong safety culture.
- develops, implements, maintains, and revises the Regional Safety Management System (RSMS) in accordance with all applicable laws and municipal requirements, supporting and assisting in workplace hazard analyses and developing mitigation action plans when required.
- develops and delivers safety training as required, including supporting the development of and providing workplace orientations, training, and proper use of PPE for employees, contractors,
- participates in and support the region through health and safety audits, inspections, corrective action plans, and the preparation of reports as required.
- assists the region in conducting incident and near miss investigations if required, in conjunction with the HSC, respecting and maintaining confidentiality, and supporting, as required, the WCB return to work program for injured employees.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Minimum seven years of progressive experience in a senior operational role in industry including 3 years of experience managing a team
- Post-secondary certificate or diploma in Occupational Health & Safety
- Completion of a Canadian Safety Certification (CRSP, CSP, CRST) is an asset
- Proficient in the use of MS Office applications
- Work experience must include evidence of an ability to:
- oversee health and safety management systems and organizational health and safety plans, policies, standards and programs in complex regulatory environments
- demonstrate knowledge of relevant legislation, regulations and standards
- work effectively in and productively in a matrix environment, with multi-site management
- establish and maintain positive relationships internally and externally
- proficient in the use of MS Office applications
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: June 10, 2022
Closing Date: June 24, 2022