Working as a team with other Community Peace Officers, this position enforces provisions of Provincial legislation (i.e., Traffic Safety Act and all associated regulations, Gaming and Liquor Act, Stray Animal Act, Municipal Government Act, etc.); liaises with RCMP and Peace Officers from other municipalities. Enforces County bylaws (i.e., Animal Control and Land Use Bylaw, etc.). Provides assistance to others by providing escort/accompaniment, etc.; responds to queries regarding statutes, bylaws, etc; investigates unsafe or potentially unsafe road conditions and notifies the County, or others, as appropriate. Provides advice regarding placement or elimination of traffic control signs and devices; assists in the preparation and monitoring of annual departmental budget.
Key Responsibilities Include:
A key component of this position is to also act as a liaison with the four Fire Departments that the County provides operational funding towards and the Cremona and District Emergency Services Department that the County operates. The position provides assistance to the Director Legislative, Community and Agricultural Services on Fire related matters such as the development of Long-Range Plans, review of annual operating budgets, development of services levels and review of major capital apparatus procurement.
- Minimum Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent; completion of a two (2) year post-secondary diploma relating to law enforcement;
- Community Peace Officer Level I status or the ability to acquire within six (6) months;
- Three (3) to five (5) years progressive experience in the provision of a Peace Officer or Police Officer or rural municipal bylaw enforcement-related service area;
- Valid Alberta class 5 vehicle licence with clean abstract (no more than 6 demerit points), current standard First Aid; current criminal record check
- Experience with Fire Services either through a professional role or in a volunteer capacity.
- Strong interpersonal skills including tact and diplomacy, articulate written and oral communication skills including public speaking are necessary;
- Ability to communicate effectively using courtesy, skill and discretion in dealing with requests, complaints and clarification of information;
- Ability to deal effectively with complaint investigation and conflict resolution, perform with minimal supervision and a willingness to work weekends and/or Statutory Holidays as required and be available for immediate call out; and
- Competency in using computers in the technical areas of word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
Additional Job Information:
Salary Range: Starting Salary $86,303/annum ($37.72/hr)
Position Type: Full Time – Competitive Benefits Package – Starting salary of $86,303/annum ($37.72/hr) Based on 176 hours every 4 weeks (2288 annual base)
Posted Date: Nov 25, 2021
Closing Date: Dec 17, 2021
Job ID: MVC20 - 2021