Are you looking for an employer that values work-life balance? Are you interested in an environment that fosters fun and proves it regularly? Would you like to work for an employer that provides comprehensive benefits, which include a health and wellness benefit and on-site gym?The County of Grande Prairie No. 1, located in northwestern Alberta, is one of the fastest-growing and vibrant economic regions in Canada. This resource-rich area features friendly communities; an array of cultural, recreational, business and educational opportunities; 6,000 square kilometers of vast and dynamic landscape; and an internationally-renowned dinosaur bone-bed and museum. The County of Grande Prairie serves a trade area of over 260,000 people, its diverse economy driven by agriculture, energy, forestry, manufacturing, tourism and commerce. As the first established county in the province, the County of Grande Prairie offers rural appeal and easy access to urban amenities.
The Project & Regulatory Technologist is responsible for providing technical support along a range of environmental and engineering disciplines including site inspections, monitoring engineered systems designed to ensure regulatory compliance, acquiring and maintaining operations approvals, providing interpretation and field expertise for water systems and water management programs, sewer systems, landfills and leachate and providing strategic expertise for construction and operation of these facilities.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
• Project management of assigned Public Works projects including water/sewer and landfill
construction from design through to completion including project scope definition, option analysis,
tendering, field supervision of construction tasks, verification of work and quantities, contract
administration, and commissioning as required;
• Investigate, assess and provide technical recommendations to Public Works and other County
• Maintain and manage libraries, databases and inventories, for water/wastewater system reports,
landfill cell and leachate system construction, annual reports for regulated facilities and
• Provide technical review of engineering studies and drawings as related to municipal
• Provide assistance developing and administering capital programs, budgets and performance
• Provide pre-construction and construction services;
• Work with tendering and contract processes making recommendations of award to Council;
• Provide advice based on sound knowledge of legislation relating to sewer, water and solid
• Prepare and interpret comprehensive technical papers, plans, legal/contract tender documents,
statutes, standards and bylaws and provide interpretation/recommendations;
• Physical Labour, equipment operation, extensive travel in the County and working in less than
favorable conditions at times;
• Attend training and conferences required to maintain certifications for this position
(Water/wastewater level 1, Landfill 2B).
• Technical diploma or a related degree in Civil Engineering, Environmental or Science related
• Professional membership in, or ability to become a member of the Alberta Society of Engineering
• Minimum five years related experience in municipal or industry setting with some focus on
water/wastewater/solid waste including full range of project delivery methods, project management,
tendering and contract management;
• Field sampling, report writing/interpretation and legislation experience related to position;
• A class 5 driver’s license and acceptable drivers abstract;
• Level 2B landfill Certificate and/or Level 1 water/wastewater and/or higher and SCADA systems
knowledge is an asset.
Interested applicants are invited to apply via the Job Opportunities page on the County of Grande
Prairie website at www.countygp.ab.ca