Reporting to the Director of Municipal Lands, Planning and Development, the Planning and Economic Development Officer is an essential component of the MD of Taber’s team. Priorities for this position lie in the efficient operation of the planning and development functions within the MD of Taber as outlined within the Municipal Development Plan and Land-Use Bylaw. This position is also responsible for the administration, marketing and coordination of the economic development initiatives that aligns with the MD of Taber’s Strategic Plan. As a specialist in understanding both big picture municipal growth with the ability to facilitate local regulatory processes, the incumbent should have the necessary skills required to communicate effectively with the business community, intergovernmental partners, staff throughout the organization, management, Council, and Committees of Council. The incumbent should have a strong combined background in Municipal Development and Economic Development, understand the professional and political atmosphere of municipal government and be a proven performer in the continued development and implementation of long-term growth strategies.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Key areas of responsibility are:
- Assist the general public and other stakeholders through the local development based regulatory processes (i.e. preparation and completion of development permit applications in accordance with the Land Use Bylaw, Municipal Development Plan, and the MGA)
- Facilitate development and implementation of economic development strategies and initiatives in consultation with other departments and community stakeholders.
- Coordinate the preparation and administration of economic development plans, programs and strategies to retain, attract, and maximize new business and opportunities to the community and region, in concert with other municipal strategies and policies.
- Review non-conforming developments carried out and corrective measures suggested.
- Post-secondary Degree or Certifications in one or a combination of the following: Land Use Planning, Business Administration, Economic Development or a related discipline. Combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Adept at facilitating and assisting the public and stakeholders navigate through municipal development processes.
- Professional work record that demonstrates effective promotion of economic development projects and community relations initiatives preferably in a rural municipal setting.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly in both written and oral formats.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a demanding workload which requires attention to detail.
- High degree of competency in using computers for planning, reporting and analysis; able to use Microsoft Office Suite software and other municipal software.
The Municipal District of Taber offers a professional workplace culture that encourages leadership and learning, including opportunities for professional development to improve your existing knowledge and passion for public service, as well as a competitive salary and excellent employee benefit program and LAPP pension.
Additional Job Information:
Position Type: Initial review of resumes will be reviewed February 28, 2022 with the competition closing once a suitable candidate has been selected.
Posted Date: Feb 22, 2022
Closing Date: Feb 28, 2022