Strathmore is a vibrant, welcoming community that is recognized as a regional hub for business and recreation. Continued investment in recreation facilities, parks projects, commercial revitalization, and community programming provides an exceptional quality of life for our residents and visitors. Strathmore is in southern Alberta on the traditional lands of the Siksika Nation, surrounded by Wheatland County and a short distance east of Calgary.
The Town of Strathmore strives to be a leader in municipal administration and operations. Our experienced and engaged workforce delivers a diverse range of services and programs that continue to help us set new milestones for quality of life. Our recently completed Strathmore Municipal Building will bring all Administrative functions under one roof, providing new opportunities for collaboration across the organization.
Reporting to the Manager of Development Services, the role of the Planner includes processing development permit and subdivision applications at an intermediate to senior level. The Planner is also expected to support municipal policy initiatives, including updating Area Structure Plans, the Municipal Development Plan, and the Land Use Bylaw. This is an intermediate to senior level planning position and requires municipal professional planning expertise and experience. The position offers opportunities for individuals demonstrating strong teamwork abilities coupled with proven analytical, development facilitation, and policy formulating skills.
The ideal candidate will be team-oriented and will have a sound understanding of the municipal planning process and municipal planning regulations. We are looking for a team-minded, strategic thinker who will demonstrate attention to detail, excellent analytical skills, and strong verbal and written communication skills. As the Planner, you will be able to prioritize and manage your time efficiently. You will also have an excellent level of understanding of municipal planning and will be able to best represent the multi-disciplinary Development Services department.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Processing development permit and subdivision applications at an intermediate to senior level.
- Aid the department with updating the Municipal Development Plan and other Statutory planning documents.
- Aid the department with updating the Land Use Bylaw.
- Providing development permit and subdivision application assistance to citizens, businesses, and other members of a multidisciplinary organization.
- Researching issues, identifying solutions, and advising management about municipal growth and development.
- Preparing political briefing materials and responding to complex planning issues.
- Making public presentations to various bodies including Town Council, the Subdivision Development and Appeal Board, and other committees as assigned.
- Providing professional planning advice to internal and external stakeholders and explaining planning policies and decisions.
- Providing and promoting Municipal planning goals and objectives to citizens and applicants.
- Being an effective and positive team player and ambassador for the Development Services Department.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Manager, Director, or the CAO.
Education and Experience:
The preferred candidate will have an accredited planning degree recognized by the Canadian planning profession or a related degree, and have a minimum of three (3) to six (6) years of progressively responsible and diversified experience in Municipal Planning. APPI Regulated membership or membership with another Canadian Planning Provincial and Territorial Institute and Association (PTIA) is required or preferred.
- Direct experience in municipal planning, urban studies, or related discipline.
- Direct experience in subdivision and development approvals and implementation.
- Direct experience with municipal planning legislation and statutory planning documents.
- Working knowledge of planning legislation and experience involving a broad range of projects and applications in an urban setting.
- Strong interpersonal communication, facilitation, and mediation skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong written and presentation skills.
- Ability to conduct yourself in a professional manner which portrays the Town of Strathmore in a positive light.
- Ability to interact with co-workers and the public in a positive, facilitative manner.
- Ability to train and mentor other members of the multi-disciplinary Development Services department.
- Ability to work in a customer-oriented and collaborative environment while adhering to tight timelines and changing priorities.
- Ability to deliver high quality of work and professional advice and recommendations to the leadership teams.
- Punctuality in attending meetings and the workplace each day.
Prior to beginning work, the successful candidate will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract and the successful completion of a Criminal Record Check. References from recent employers will be required as part of the recruitment process.
The Town of Strathmore total compensation package includes a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefit package and participation in LAPP. Flexible work schedule includes the option for a compressed work week and Earned Days Off (EDO).
Please submit a cover letter and complete resume of experience and qualifications, quoting Competition TOS2021-24
This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
The Town of Strathmore thanks all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels valued and respected. We will consider accessibility accommodations to applicants upon request.
This posting is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities and qualifications for this position. The job ad is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Apr 08, 2021
Closing Date: Aug 31, 2021