Parks and Open Spaces Operator / Horticulturalist
40 hours/week (including occasional weekends)
Job Title: Parks and Open Spaces Operator / Horticulturalist
Classification Level: $60,798.40 - $76,086.40 / Annum
Reports To: Manager and Leads of Parks and Open Spaces.
The Parks and Open Spaces Operator / Horticulturalist is responsible for providing technical information and expertise for Parks and Open Spaces operations. This position requires seasonal planning and coordination of budgets, equipment and staff all under the supervision of the Manager or Leads. During the gardening off-season, this position will assist with multi-way snow removal and the building of ice surfaces.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Duties and Responsibilities:
Plan and coordinate flower and shrub bed maintenance while working with other departments and external customers. Supervision of staff including delegation of assignments and quality control may be required during peak operational periods and as required by Manager or Lead. Follow the City of Leduc’s OH&S manual with regards to policy, duties and responsibilities. Planning of activities and written reports related to daily activities, as required by supervisor. Assist other critical business operations within Public Services during emergencies or unusual circumstances as required.
Operation of Equipment related to the following functional areas:
• Turf maintenance
• Parks operations
• Watering and small irrigation systems
• Multi-way clearing
• Building and maintaining ice surfaces
General Maintenance of:
• Flower and shrub beds
• Sidewalks, multi-ways and shale pathways
• Snow and Ice control along Parks and Open Spaces
• Garden plots
• Green Spaces
• Parks related equipment and tools
• Possess a High School diploma or equivalent.
• Degree or diploma in horticulture, gardening or botany
• Standard First and AED.
• Valid Class 3 driver’s license with Q endorsement current abstract will be required with in the first 6 months.
• Minimum of 3 years related experience or equivalent work history in horticulture.
• Experience with parks, turf and tree maintenance, snow removal and outdoor ice maintenance.
• Dealing with a variety of people, programs and procedures.
• Experience with skid steer and other parks related equipment.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Knowledge of plants and their selection, evaluation, care, including turf trees, shrubs,
• Ability to diagnose and treat plant disease and insect pests
• Possess the knowledge and ability to operate various equipment utilized for Parks
• Possess strong general maintenance skills of equipment and tools associated with daily
• Strong background and working knowledge of WHMIS, OH & S Standards would be an asset.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize changing workloads efficiently.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Ability to coordinate and plan activities.
• Possess superior interpersonal, public relations and verbal communication skills.
• The ability to work flexible hours, weekends and stand-by, as required.
• As the successful candidate, you will also be willing to provide a Criminal Record Check as
part of the hiring process.
If this sounds like you, we want to hear from you! To apply, please visit our website at:
Competition closes at 12:00 noon (MT) on September 10, 2019. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Due to the high volume of resumes received, we are not able to respond to individual phone calls. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same or lower classification level.
Additional Job Information:
Posted Date: Aug 20, 2019
Closing Date: Sept 10, 2019